[SOLVED] Ryzen 3700x with ASROCK B450 Steel Legend ATX MotherBoard

SOLIDRADENX

Reputable
May 5, 2020
Hello I about to upgrade to ryzen 3700x and
ASROCK B450 Steel Legend ATX MotherBoard
And 2*8 gb ram s3200
Will I face any problem with the processor and motherboard as I heared that I must update bios to make processor work

And 2*8 gb ram s3200
Will I face any problem with the processor and motherboard as I heared that I must update bios to make processor work
If you don't have access to an older AM4 processor to be able to update BIOS you might be better off getting a low-end B550 motherboard. The VRM's and features on them, even at the low end, are so much improved you'll not give up much (if anything) with the B450 Steel Legend.

HWUnboxed did some round-ups of low end boards that could be useful for you:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuPH9pCCK-E

Reactions: kurdtnz
And 2*8 gb ram s3200

I had no issues doing the exact same thing on the exact same motherboard. But you must be careful how you do the BIOS upgrade.

Here's the deal:
The BIOS can only support so many chips. When the 3000 series came along, the BIOS wasn't big enough to handle all the NEW chips (3000 series) with the OLD chips (1000, 2000 series) So there are 3 types of BIOS.

Old BIOS: (1000, 2000 series support, including raven ridge)
Concurrent BIOS: (1000, 2000, 3000 series support with no advanced features for 3000 series)
Newest BIOS: (3000 support only I believe, but contains all fixes for 3000 series)

Most new motherboards ship with concurrent bios to ensure maximum compatibility. Follow these directions at your own risk, but this is how I do it, and I have 0 issues.

1. If your motherboard is older and contains the OLD BIOS (Pre 3000 support) You will want to flash it to a Concurrent BIOS version first.

2. Here's how you tell it's a concurrent version: ASRock labels the BIOS page with a clear warning: For 3000 series only. If it warns you not to upgrade for older series chips it is NOT a concurrent version! It will read:

ASRock Bios Page said:
*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.
*Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version.

For my B450M Steel Legend (MicroATX) that last concurrent BIOS version is 2.5. IF YOUR MOTHERBOARD CONTAINS A HIGHER BIOS VERSION DO NOT ROLLBACK. ROLLBACKS are not guaranteed and may brick your system.

3. After your concurrent BIOS update, pull the plug and install your 3700x. Reboots may occur several times. Do not panic.

4. Go into BIOS and make sure everything looks good. Use AMD Ryzen Master (Desktop) to make sure everything looks good also.

5. Update your BIOS one last time to the latest version to help with bug errata and ensure maximum speed.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
If you have extra $180.00; grab the Asus X570 TUF. Future proof your motherboard with bigger Zen 2 chips and even the upcoming Zen 3.

This is an expensive and utterly useless suggestion but that's the fun part with Ryzen chips. You have so many options of PC parts from different generations that can coexist in a system.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
For the record it is EXTREMELY RARE to find a B450 board on the shelf these days that doesn't support Ryzen 3000 out of the box. The ones that didn't have the BIOS update are long sold out, so unless you find a board that somehow sat on the shelf for a year you should be fine.

SOLIDRADENX

Reputable
May 5, 2020
Thanks guys now I want u opinion in something is that
I get the Ryzen 3700x with ASROCK B450 Steel Legend ATX MotherBoard
Or get
Ryzen 5 3600 with motherboard GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite
And safe some money to upgrade my body case
Most of my using gaming and some times I work at maya program so give me u opnion

You may want to read threads before replying. This entire thread was that discussion.
Yeah...it's pretty ironic to OP, I think. He got into trouble because he needed to update BIOS on his current board (B450 Steel Legend) so he's getting another board (B450 Elite) that may present the same issues for him.

Hopefully, it comes off the shelf with BIOS updated for him. If not, he needs to pay attention to advice given throughout the thread: reset CMOS first, update BIOS, reset CMOS again. No need for a jumper, just use the tip of a screwdriver to short the pins. Removing CMOS battery can't hurt.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yeah...it's pretty ironic to OP, I think. He got into trouble because he needed to update BIOS on his current board (B450 Steel Legend) so he's getting another board (B450 Elite) that may have the same issues for him.

Ummm.... No he didn't He never bought the board to begin with, he was concerned in buying it if it would need an update.

And like I said I have bought B450 boards and Ryzen 3000 processors recently with no concern and have not yet had one without a BIOS that worked. Unless the board has been sitting on a shelf for 2 years this really isn't a concern.

Ummm.... No he didn't He never bought the board to begin with, he was concerned in buying it if it would need an update.

And like I said I have bought B450 boards and Ryzen 3000 processors recently with no concern and have not yet had one without a BIOS that worked. Unless the board has been sitting on a shelf for 2 years this really isn't a concern.

To be fair,it can also depend what country you are in.Even here in the UK Ive known people buy B450 boards recently from major online retailers and they've needed BIOS updates for the 3000 series processers. (even when I bought my first non max tomahawk 6 months ago, I had to return it and got an x570 instead.)

....Unless the board has been sitting on a shelf for 2 years this really isn't a concern.
I got confused with threads...thought he had the legend.

2 years? ryzen 3k only came out in july '19...a little over a year and a month. And I do expect there could be some year old stock being moved, there almost always is when new lines come out, so it's wise to check if it matters.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I got confused with threads...thought he had the legend.

2 years? ryzen 3k only came out in july '19...a little over a year and a month. And I do expect there could be some year old stock being moved, there almost always is when new lines come out, so it's wise to check if it matters.

And once Coronavirus happened a LOT of boards were sold out, its rare to find a board thats been sitting that long. It happens of course, but considering at some points in the past few months you couldn't get any B450 boards for a week or two at a time. Also Ryzen 3000 while out in July 19, board manufacturers had BIOSes ready before that and were manufacturing boards that were compatible before it happened.

As I said, could it happen? Yeah. Would it slow me down from buying a board, or cause me concern? No not at all. Worst case you figure out your options afterwards, ie AMD still sends out free processors to do the update with if needed, or return it.

At this point we are talking in circles, the discussion for the OP is resolved, he bought a board and a 3700X.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS