Question Ryzen 3700x

Nov 28, 2019
Does Ryzen 3700x support parallel computing? Same with Amd Radeon rx 5500? I want to buy iscan for Medic i500 for my dental clinic and i was told i can’t use any AMD processors because they do not support “parallel computing” and only i7 9900 or i9 does

Last edited:
Does Ryzen 3700x support parallel computing? Same with Amd Radeon rx 5500?

What do you consider 'parallel computing'?

I have run Folding@Home on a 3700X coupled with an RX480. It processes on the processor and the GPU in 'parallel' (assuming that's what you mean) both with each other and with other computers in the project. But unfortunately, they don't have a processing 'core' for Navi yet so when I got my rx5700xt it stopped processing on the GPU; probably will be the same for rx5500.

They are working on a processing core for Navi but it will take some time. Other parallel computing projects (available through BOINC) may not share that limitation.

Nov 28, 2019
What do you consider 'parallel computing'?

I have run Folding@Home on a 3700X coupled with an RX480. It processes on the processor and the GPU in 'parallel' (assuming that's what you mean) both with each other and with other computers in the project. But unfortunately, they don't have a processing 'core' for Navi yet so when I got my rx5700xt it stopped processing on the GPU; probably will be the same for rx5500.

They are working on a processing core for Navi but it will take some time. Other parallel computing projects (available through BOINC) may not share that limitation.
I want to buy iscan for Medic i500 for my dental clinic and i was told i can’t use any AMD processors because they do not support “parallel computing” and only i7 9900 does

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I want to buy iscan for Medic i500 for my dental clinic and i was told i can’t use any AMD processors because they do not support “parallel computing” and only i7 9900 does
AMD CPUs will perform these tasks as well.

https://www.medit.com/dental-clinic

What source do you refer to regarding, " i was told i can’t use any AMD processors because they do not support “parallel computing”"?

https://support.medit.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021089351-System-requirements-for-the-i500

I come from 30 years in a corporate workplace....when buying specialty software it's always best to buy the recommended systems to run it on. It's not a question of the software working on Ryzen vs Intel (it likely will)...it's a question of you getting support with a problem and them telling you you're out of luck because you don't meet their requirements. It's best to follow the rules when someone else makes them and you've no other options.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

COLGeek

Cybernaut
https://support.medit.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021089351-System-requirements-for-the-i500

I come from 30 years in a corporate workplace....when buying specialty software it's always best to buy the recommended systems to run it on. It's not a question of the software working on Ryzen vs Intel (it likely will)...it's a question of you getting support with a problem and them telling you you're out of luck because you don't meet their requirements. It's best to follow the rules when someone else makes them and you've no other options.
Good points and certainly worth consideration. There should, however, be no technical reason for the software to not work on an AMD based rig.

Good points and certainly worth consideration. There should, however, be no technical reason for the software to not work on an AMD based rig.
I agree, and the excuses being shoveled by the sales rep sounds like the BS, but these are often big ticket items, per seat, and very few medical practices want to go full nerd providing their own technical support when it's needed. It's simply best to stick with the configuration the developers have certified it with and you can always lay any problems back on them.

What it really shows is that AMD has a tough nut to crack getting suppliers of professional software packages like this and others...I seem to remember Autodesk is one too... to test and certify AMD CPU's and GPU's with their products.

Last edited:
Reactions: COLGeek