Question Ryzen 3800X stock cooler fan keeps cycling up and down

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
There is a lot of info on this forum about issues with the Ryzen 3000 not hitting their advertised boost frequencies. I am a recent adopter to a R7 3800x. I do not have any issues with my performance and the chip will boost to 4.3 on its own. I am not overclocking. It seems most of the boost issues have been fixed via bios and chipset driver updates, which I have installed.

What I am having trouble finding is info on the annoying fan noise I am getting with the stock cooler. As reported by users they are getting higher than desired temps. The temp does not bother me because my case can manage it, and I understand this CPU is supposed to run hotter. What I am experiencing is the fan ramps from zero to full throttle instantly every 5 seconds (assuming due to voltage spikes while boosting). I have my own fan profiles and while I am able to mitigate the annoyance this behavior still persists.

Using Ryzen Master my temps are stable at about 50-55c after its been in use for several hours. Its 39c in bios. Gaming is the heaviest work I do with it and my temps reach 80c in FarCry5. Does anyone else use the stock prisim coolers and do you experience the same annoying fan behavior? Should I consider exchanging the unit?

There is a lot of info on this forum about issues with the Ryzen 3000 not hitting their advertised boost frequencies. I am a recent adopter to a R7 3800x. I do not have any issues with my performance and the chip will boost to 4.3 on its own. I am not overclocking. It seems most of the boost issues have been fixed via bios and chipset driver updates, which I have installed.

What I am having trouble finding is info on the annoying fan noise I am getting with the stock cooler. As reported by users they are getting higher than desired temps. The temp does not bother me because my case can manage it, and I understand this CPU is supposed to run hotter. What I am experiencing is the fan ramps from zero to full throttle instantly every 5 seconds (assuming due to voltage spikes while boosting). I have my own fan profiles and while I am able to mitigate the annoyance this behavior still persists.

Using Ryzen Master my temps are stable at about 50-55c after its been in use for several hours. Its 39c in bios. Gaming is the heaviest work I do with it and my temps reach 80c in FarCry5. Does anyone else use the stock prisim coolers and do you experience the same annoying fan behavior? Should I consider exchanging the unit?

What motherboard are you using?

I recently built a new PC with the Asus TUF Wifi and 3800x. I did not have issues with the cpu fan throttling up and down. I did see cpu temps up to 82C in BFV. Now my case sits inside a computer desk so I thought that was the biggest issue regarding airflow.

The Wraith that comes with the cpu is actually a decent cooler. I ended up installing a Corsair H60 using the front intake as the cool are intake for the rad. Max gaming temp for BFV is now at 76C. So not really a big improvement. The 3800x would appear to run pretty hot from what I've seen and other have experienced.

Reactions: DMAN999

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
What motherboard are you using?

I recently built a new PC with the Asus TUF Wifi and 3800x. I did not have issues with the cpu fan throttling up and down. I did see cpu temps up to 82C in BFV. Now my case sits inside a computer desk so I thought that was the biggest issue regarding airflow.

The Wraith that comes with the cpu is actually a decent cooler. I ended up installing a Corsair H60 using the front intake as the cool are intake for the rad. Max gaming temp for BFV is now at 76C. So not really a big improvement. The 3800x would appear to run pretty hot from what I've seen and other have experienced.

Nice build GarettL!

I am using a Gigabye x570 Aorus Elite (non-wifi)

Exactly, from everything I have heard the Wraith is a good cooler if you are not overclocking. I do have good airflow. 4 Noctua 120mm fans, 3 of them are front intake, 1 is a rear exhaust, and I have one top mount Noctua 140mm exhaust fan. I am also using Corsair Vengence RAM, as I can see from your photo. Rated at 3600, and I have it set at 3200 at the moment. Thanks for responding.

Nice build GarettL!

I am using a Gigabye x570 Aorus Elite (non-wifi)

Exactly, from everything I have heard the Wraith is a good cooler if you are not overclocking. I do have good airflow. 4 Noctua 120mm fans, 3 of them are front intake, 1 is a rear exhaust, and I have one top mount Noctua 140mm exhaust fan. I am also using Corsair Vengence RAM, as I can see from your photo. Rated at 3600, and I have it set at 3200 at the moment. Thanks for responding.

Must be a bios problem for the cpu fan?

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Must be a bios problem for the cpu fan?
That's what I initially thought. When I installed the CPU and before booting for the first time I set bios to recommended defaults. It booted properly and the fan started acting up as soon as I got into windows. I went back into bios and changed the setting from AUTO to PWM for the CPU fan. I attempted several setting but PWM provides the least amount of fluctuation in fan speed. I have tried other settings such as manual, but the issue persisted. PWM seems to be the best option for now, and I am tweeking the fan curve.

My 3900x with the Coolermaster ml 360 aio does something similar but to a more moderate degree. My idle cpu temps are always between 34-46 c. I have noticed that it jumps from 33 c to around 45 c then slowly (over about 6-10 seconds) lowers back to 33 c over and over again. This is with the default BIOS settings but with my own preset fan curve. I am using an ASUS x570-f motherboard. I think that the Ryzen 3000 temp sensors just don't poll temp information fast enough so it does the temperature jump making fan speeds jump in kind.

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Update for anyone else experiencing the same issue. I found a post on reddit with a user having the same issue. His fan ramps up and down every few seconds due to temp spikes probably correlated to boosts in
My 3900x with the Coolermaster ml 360 aio does something similar but to a more moderate degree. My idle cpu temps are always between 34-46 c. I have noticed that it jumps from 33 c to around 45 c then slowly (over about 6-10 seconds) lowers back to 33 c over and over again. This is with the default BIOS settings but with my own preset fan curve. I am using an ASUS x570-f motherboard. I think that the Ryzen 3000 temp sensors just don't poll temp information fast enough so it does the temperature jump making fan speeds jump in kind.
Do you only use bios to control your fan curves?

I now have a curve I am comfortable with in bios, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to apply once I am in windows. My CPU temp sits at 43c in bios, but once I'm in windows its actually running at 52-54c. My best results have come from using Gigabytes SIV to set my fan curve, and I can at least create multiple fan profiles for my different uses.

I have found 2 other accounts of this issue, and yours would make 3. Our temps differ but the same symptoms seem to be present. Temp "seems" to go up and down a 10 degree difference seconds apart. The most we can do is set a custom fan curve that minimizes the effect, but it probably wont go away entirely. If there was only a way for our system to read the temps that are displayed in Ryzen Master. The temp in RM is always stable, and only varies 3-4 degrees in temp.

[fixed]
96p40p5.jpg

[/fixed]
here you can see the temp difference in Ryzen Mazter vs SIV
[fixed]
MKxRrla.jpg

[/fixed]
this fan curve seems to be the most efficient at being quite and giving me cooling when I really need it

Update for anyone else experiencing the same issue. I found a post on reddit with a user having the same issue. His fan ramps up and down every few seconds due to temp spikes probably correlated to boosts in

Do you only use bios to control your fan curves?
I use the Asus AI utility to set the fan curve. This fan curve saves to BIOS. Another thing to mention is that with these AMD processors the motherboard reports 3 temperatures: CPU Package, CPU (Weight), and CPU. Meanwhile, the CPU reports 2 different temperatures: CPU (Tctl/Tdie) and CPU Die (average). The problem comes when different programs use these 4-5 different temperatures as the CPU temperature for the fan curve. The CPU reported temperatures seem to jump more than the Motherboard reported temperatures, however, the Motherboard ones seem to update significantly less frequently. I am no expert on the 5 specific temperature readouts so I cannot say how they are different or even if they are the same.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Yes, and this is the reason very few software like hwin can monitor temps accurately. I am very happy with the performance. I just have never had to use these types of fan curves. I am used to using preset/out of the box fan curves and they work well with only minimal tweeking. I'll play with it a bit more, I am sure a happy medium can be had. Thank you for your expertise. At least now I know my CPU isn't malfunctioning.

Reactions: helper800
Dec 6, 2019
Had to register to reply because im having the same problem. I'm using 3700x with aorus pro wifi x570. The stock cooler is really loud when jumping temperatures from 46-48 to 51 and it happens even with idling.

Reactions: helper800

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Had to register to reply because im having the same problem. I'm using 3700x with aorus pro wifi x570. The stock cooler is really loud when jumping temperatures from 46-48 to 51 and it happens even with idling.

You can try using my CPU fan curve as a baseline. Let me know if it helps. Also, I have my system 1 and system 2 fans synced with my VRMS temp sensor since that one rarely fluctuates. If you set them to the CPU all hell breaks loose.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Also... the Wraith cooler has a Low and High switch. I have mine set to Low. You have to use some needle nose tweezers or something really thin to flip the switch.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
[fixed]
RufFalt.png

[/fixed]
this is the curve for my front case fans, and my rear case fans are identical

[fixed]
NobBJ7A.png

[/fixed]

this is were you assign your system 1 and system 2 case fans.

The top screenshot has a pic of a PC case with a fan. Click on that case and it will take you to this screen. On the right you can see VRM MOS is the only sensor that is full orange. that means system 1 will regulate its speed based on VRM MOS temp. You can try setting it to the CPU but then your case fans will just mimic what the CPU fan does and that will be way more annoying. You could set it to other sensors, but VRM is most closely tied to the CPU.

Dec 6, 2019
I finally fixed my problem. The wraith prism is more quieter than yesterday, it still makes jumping temps but the cpu is more cooler from yesterday idle 46-51 compared to now 43-46. I added 2 more 140mm fans and placed 1 on the top.

[fixed]
RufFalt.png

[/fixed]
this is the curve for my front case fans, and my rear case fans are identical

[fixed]
NobBJ7A.png

[/fixed]

this is were you assign your system 1 and system 2 case fans.

The top screenshot has a pic of a PC case with a fan. Click on that case and it will take you to this screen. On the right you can see VRM MOS is the only sensor that is full orange. that means system 1 will regulate its speed based on VRM MOS temp. You can try setting it to the CPU but then your case fans will just mimic what the CPU fan does and that will be way more annoying. You could set it to other sensors, but VRM is most closely tied to the CPU.

btw why does your bios look better than mine? I'm using x570 auros pro wifi and it looks bad, its not even close how your bios look.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
btw why does your bios look better than mine? I'm using x570 auros pro wifi and it looks bad, its not even close how your bios look.

Glad you figured it out.

I am sure our bios looks identical. These are screenshots from Windows. I don't have the ability to capture from within bios. If you don't have SIV go to Gigabytes website and download their App Center, and then Download SIV (System Information Viewer). I prefer this over bios because I want multiple fan curves that I can set without having to go into bios, I want to be able to change fan curve on the fly.

Reactions: Xyazul
Dec 6, 2019
I lowered the temp a little bit more through the settings power saver, Wraith prism noise has gone lower and even when gaming.

edited: still making noise but not loud as yesterday

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I would search for a setting in the bios that allows for a "delay" of the fan speed. Asus allows something like that. It prevents the fan from ramping up and down for only short bursts.
Maybe you might find something called "hysteresis"

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I would search for a setting in the bios that allows for a "delay" of the fan speed. Asus allows something like that. It prevents the fan from ramping up and down for only short bursts.
Maybe you might find something called "hysteresis"

There is a setting called "Temp Interval" I will mess around with that as well, thank you :benetton:

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
After much tweeking I have solved the issue. I had AMD Ryzen balanced power plan enabled. I went into advanced settings and I edited Processor power management. I changed Minimum processor state to 0% (default was 90%) and I changed Maximum processor state to 99% (which was 100%). Now when it idles at 37c max temp is 76c while under load, and it no longer cycles up and down like it used to while still using the stock cooler.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
After much tweeking I have solved the issue. I had AMD Ryzen balanced power plan enabled. I went into advanced settings and I edited Processor power management. I changed Minimum processor state to 0% (default was 90%) and I changed Maximum processor state to 99% (which was 100%). Now when it idles at 37c max temp is 76c while under load, and it no longer cycles up and down like it used to while still using the stock cooler.
Very good. Thanks for the feedback.