Question Ryzen 3800x

Honestly speaking, only one potential and not demonstrated reason: better chip binning.

Other than that, nope. I haven't seen any reviews with the 3800X and the 3700X, but I'm willing to say the difference is going to be in the single digit % difference. In fact, probably even lower than 2% when using PBO.

Cheers!

Id say a 3700x is quite the upgrade over a 2700x depending on what you do.

The 3800x may be binned better and perform slightly better, but it cost much more than the 3700x which offers better value.
Single core performance maybe, but my 2700x is now hitting 4.35GHz all core boost under full load giving great scores and most of my SW and none of games can load it that high, so there's till some reserve in it. 200 MHz on the other hand can make more of difference.
For starting a new setup or upgrading fro 1st gen, 3700x may be logical choice but not for 10% gain.

Single core performance maybe, but my 2700x is now hitting 4.35GHz all core boost under full load giving great scores and most of my SW and none of games can load it that high, so there's till some reserve in it. 200 MHz on the other hand can make more of difference.
For starting a new setup or upgrading fro 1st gen, 3700x may be logical choice but not for 10% gain.
I was going to say... My 2700X with ~4.3Ghz all-core is getting 1926CB MT scores and 182 ST with a 10.56X MP ratio.

Most benchies I've seen, they aren't actually letting the 2700X OC itself that much, so it paints a bigger disparity over the 3700X. That being said, Anandtech did the OC tests and the gap is big. Not big enough to warrant an upgrade, mind you, but a gap nonetheless.

EDIT:
111364.png

With a manual OC, the scores don't increase that much over "normal", but the Ry2700X "default" scores are really low compared to mine.

Cheers!

I was going to say... My 2700X with ~4.3Ghz all-core is getting 1926CB MT scores and 182 ST with a 10.56X MP ratio.

Most benchies I've seen, they aren't actually letting the 2700X OC itself that much, so it paints a bigger disparity over the 3700X. That being said, Anandtech did the OC tests and the gap is big. Not big enough to warrant an upgrade, mind you, but a gap nonetheless.

EDIT:
111364.png

With a manual OC, the scores don't increase that much over "normal", but the Ry2700X "default" scores are really low compared to mine.

Cheers!
Those are just about same scores I'm getting, PBO2 now working fully on last BIOS and single core is no lower than or even higher than with 4.3GHz OC because it's hitting 4.35GHz.
Last CB r15 from few months ago is 1937 and 179 points.
Single core boost is not my most important factor and right now not even full OC.

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
I got actually lucky because my 2700X failed a while ago and I got full return, if that didn't happen I might have not upgraded. Now I think I will snag 3700x, since 3800x for me is 19% more expensive. I returned my 1080Ti, because I could due to extra return policy a purchased. And now I will use this money to get a 2080 Super when k comes out.

Also why are there no reviews? Did non of those reviewers managed to get it through 3rd party supplier yet?

3600 and 3700x are a good value for gamers and content creators alike.

The 3900x is ok value for strictly gamers, but for content creators its great value.

I dont think the 3800x and 2600x are worth the price jump over their slightly slower counterparts.

Im not sure where the 16 core will fall in. I bet it will fall into the same catagory as the 12 core.

Im confused about whether i can upgrade to 3rd gen or not.

Msi said my b350 board would get 3rd gen support, and it did get a bios update, but i found it unstable so i downgraded.
msi Quickly removed the bios and the part that said 3rd gen support from the from the page, so now you cant run 3rd gen cpus.

I have the bios downloaded, but its unstable even with a 1st gen cpu.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The 3800X is a 105W chip compared to 65W for the 3700X. This should mean that in addition to the slightly higher lightly threaded boost clocks, it may have a noticeably better all core boost. Whether you're able accomplish the same thing with 3700X + PBO I'm not sure, but based on reviews it looks like PBO currently doesn't do much on the 3700X.

Last edited:

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Im confused about whether i can upgrade to 3rd gen or not.

Msi said my b350 board would get 3rd gen support, and it did get a bios update, but i found it unstable so i downgraded.
msi Quickly removed the bios and the part that said 3rd gen support from the from the page, so now you cant run 3rd gen cpus.

I have the bios downloaded, but its unstable even with a 1st gen cpu.
All 3rd gen ryzen will be able to run on all AM4s. They actually draw less power then their last gen counterparts. But there are always problems with bioses after a launch. Nothing prevents you from waiting for a while until things are stable and then purchasing the new 3600.

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
The 3800X is a 105W chip compared to 65W for the 3700X. This should mean that in addition to the slightly higher lightly threaded boost clocks, it may have a noticeably better all core boost. Whether you're able accomplish the same thing with 3700X + PBO I'm not sure, but based on reviews it looks like PBO currently doesn't do much on the 3700X.

That's actually the thing. I just might prefer running couple of % slower CPU and having much lower tdp. That 65W sounds amazing to me. Even 2700X was ok with custom fan curve and stock cooler. So 3700x with prism will be just fine I think. Even tho I have dark rock, I just might run the stock one to see the difference.

My 2700x is already hitting 138W (power, not TDP) and for 3900x they say it's 140W tops so I'm confident that VRM can take it and some more, never hits over 65c measured by IC thermometer behind the MB (because it's hooter there than on heat sink) that makes VRM itself hit no more than 75c which is far cry from estimated 105c.
Cpu stays under 70c no matter what so I guess 105w TDP being only 1c over 2700x should present no problem either.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
All 3rd gen ryzen will be able to run on all AM4s. They actually draw less power then their last gen counterparts. But there are always problems with bioses after a launch. Nothing prevents you from waiting for a while until things are stable and then purchasing the new 3600.
I believe that either AMD or mobo partners have come out and said that A320 will not get BIOS support for Ryzen 3K. With regard other chipsets, it's up to the manufacturers to provide BIOS updates. I wouldn't necessarily assume that every B350 board will get a Ryzen 3K BIOS update, at least not in a timely fashion.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
That's actually the thing. I just might prefer running couple of % slower CPU and having much lower tdp. That 65W sounds amazing to me. Even 2700X was ok with custom fan curve and stock cooler. So 3700x with prism will be just fine I think. Even tho I have dark rock, I just might run the stock one to see the difference.
It would only draw significantly more in heavily threaded loads, where it should also perform significantly better. In lightly threaded loads I'd expect power draw to be similar between the two.