[SOLVED] Ryzen 3900X no longer boosts to 4.6GHz, now maintains itself at 3.7GHZ

Dec 8, 2020
System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X (obviously)
Mobo: Asus TUF GAMING PLUS (not wifi)
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT
RAM: 4 x 3200MHz 8GB Corsair Vengance.
PSU: Fractal Design 750w Integra M half modular atx 80plus bronze

I've had this system for about half a year now, no complications untill recently.
Started playing some games and noticed some performace drops that i haven't seen before, thought that my processor again downclocked to 800MHz since it used to do that till i managed to fix it.
What is see is 3.7GHz instead of my usual 4.6, i didn't think much of this untill i realized it hasn't changed for the past week.
I've tried updating everything related to the system, enabling precison boost overdrive in ryzen master, setting few cpu performance options to auto in the BIOS and countless restarts.

I've also tried scouring the web, with the usual question and anwser being "Not all processors reach the advertised boost clock" and "You won't mostly get the boost clock at heavy work loads".

I would be fine with this otherwise but i've had the 4.6GHz for the last six months and would like to get an explanation and a possible fix for this.
Thanks in advance to any replies.

Solution
System:

I've had this system for about half a year now, no complications untill recently.
Started playing some games and noticed some performace drops that i haven't seen before, thought that my processor again downclocked to 800MHz since it used to do that till i managed to fix it.
What is see is 3.7GHz instead of my usual 4.6, i didn't think much of this untill i realized it hasn't changed for the past week.
I've tried updating everything related to the system, enabling precison boost overdrive in ryzen master, setting...
System:

I've tried updating everything related to the system, enabling precison boost overdrive in ryzen master, setting few cpu performance options to auto in the BIOS and countless restarts.

I've also tried scouring the web, with the usual question and anwser being "Not all processors reach the advertised boost clock" and "You won't mostly get the boost clock at heavy work loads".

I would be fine with this otherwise but i've had the 4.6GHz for the last six months and would like to get an explanation and a possible fix for this.
Thanks in advance to any replies.
When I put my 3700X in a manual fixed clock, if I leave AMD Cool n Quiet in ENABLED it will run the processor at 3.7Ghz constantly.

Other than that:
Have you updated BIOS recently? Be sure to do a CMOS reset after you do so. Also install the latest AMD chipset drivers and get them from the AMD support site to be sure they're the latest. Run the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan it installs and DO NOT make changes to it.

In BIOS leave Core Clock Multiplier and VCore voltage in AUTO. Enable the following: AMD Cool n Quiet, Advanced C States, Processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred cores.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts