Question Ryzen 3900x reaching 104°c using wraith prism cooler

Jul 29, 2019
My Ryzen 3900x frequently reaches 104°c using wraith prism cooler while rendering work load.

My MB is x470 Gigabyte Aurus Gaming 5 wifi. GTX 1070ti. RAM 2400 16 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws. 512 m.2 nvme ssd.

Is it bad? I have to use water based cpu cooler?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Water based doesn't necessarily mean better. It sounds like either your current cooler is not correctly seated, or you just need an improved cooler.

Remember your ambient (room) temperatures are very important here. One room at 20 degrees and another at 30 degrees will show at least a 10 degree temperature difference under load, so if your ambient temperatures are often high, then upgraded coolers are often necessary.

Did you assemble the cooler yourself?

104 degrees is above throttle temperature for the 3900X.

Reactions: rhasan101010
Jul 29, 2019
Water based doesn't necessarily mean better. It sounds like either your current cooler is not correctly seated, or you just need an improved cooler.

Remember your ambient (room) temperatures are very important here. One room at 20 degrees and another at 30 degrees will show at least a 10 degree temperature difference under load, so if your ambient temperatures are often high, then upgraded coolers are often necessary.

Did you assemble the cooler yourself?

104 degrees is above throttle temperature for the 3900X.

Yes, I have assemble the cooler myself.

My Room temperature is around 30°c as l am leaving in Bangladesh.

Sep 2, 2019
Yes, I have assemble the cooler myself.

My Room temperature is around 30°c as l am leaving in Bangladesh.
I'm from India. Room temperature without AC is about the same as yours.

I have the 3600 and when I run Blender(very CPU heavy) or Cinebench, with the side panel open, mine reaches 89-92C and doesn't go any higher and I haven't applied my own thermal paste to it. There has to be something wrong.

For a 3900X that temperature is higher than the maximum temperature of 95C for Ryzen processors, and the CPU should throttle to stop the temperature from rising.

So, I would suggest you re-seat the cooler again, and use some force to make the contact very tight this time. You could also change the thermal paste but the default thermal compound isn't responsible for this high-temperature reading, so applying new thermal paste won't help you that much.

Then check if you have mistakenly changed the fan speed in BIOS settings, or any motherboard software.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You could also change the thermal paste but the default thermal compound isn't responsible for this high-temperature reading, so applying new thermal paste won't help you that much.
To clarify - I wasn't suggesting changing the thermal paste will help. But how it is applied absolutely can. If the default compound is used and the cooler not seated adequately, it can negatively effect the effectiveness of how that paste sits, it's easy to create air pockets or impurities in the contact.

However if you reseat the cooler, you'll have to reapply thermal paste.