[SOLVED] ryzen 3900x temps

Dec 15, 2019
Hello, I built my pc about 3 months ago, I posted another question about my gpu's temps, but I wanted to talk about my cpu's temps as well, my 3900x idles at about 52 average, stock speed, stock fan, when I am playing heavy games (BF1, overwatch. rainbow six siege, Shadow of the tomb raider etc.) I am hitting 72c tops, usually sits around 60-65. I am ok with the temps in-game and I am pretty sure that they are not bad but the idle temps seem odd... is it normal? I will stress test tonight and I will update this thread with the results.

Solution
Idle temps NEVER matter, unless maximum temps are excessive. Try running Prime95 with the Small FFT option selected. Disable AVX and AVX2. You will need to disable one before the option to disable the other becomes available. Run it for 15 minutes. If you exceed 80°C at any point, stop the test by clicking on the File menu and selecting Stop. Then exit the program. Do not just click the X like you would in the top right corner for any other program as that will not shut the program down or stop workers from running.

If you can run for 15 minutes and remain below 80°C then you are good. If you can remain below 85°C then it is "ok" but pretty borderline. In truth, you should not be running the stock cooler on a 3900x, regardless that it...
Idle temps NEVER matter, unless maximum temps are excessive. Try running Prime95 with the Small FFT option selected. Disable AVX and AVX2. You will need to disable one before the option to disable the other becomes available. Run it for 15 minutes. If you exceed 80°C at any point, stop the test by clicking on the File menu and selecting Stop. Then exit the program. Do not just click the X like you would in the top right corner for any other program as that will not shut the program down or stop workers from running.

If you can run for 15 minutes and remain below 80°C then you are good. If you can remain below 85°C then it is "ok" but pretty borderline. In truth, you should not be running the stock cooler on a 3900x, regardless that it came with it. It is not suitable even for a 3700x, much less a 3900x. In fact, NONE of the Wraith coolers are worth squat in my opinion. And since my opinion is the only one that matters, there it is. LOL.

Ok, just kidding regarding my opinion, but not regarding the content of my opinion.

Solution
-the cpu is never truly idle

This is partially untrue. It's true, but for OUR purposes, systems DO reach periods of low use that are consistent with what we consider to be idle. At that point you SHOULD be seeing very low usage on only a single core that bounces around from core to core to balance the thermal load among different points on the package. In some cases where they are not a ton of programs installed, you may even (probably) at least see SOME periods of 0% usage by all cores, depending on the architecture and system configuration.

For a system that is just sitting there, for longer than five minutes, doing nothing other than running Windows or background processes, especially if you have disabled System restore and automatic defrag/optimization and other Windows tasks so that they are not trying to run, you should not really see more than an occasional burst of activity while something checks for an update or polls. And even with those things enabled, it should still MOSTLY not be constantly running things. Not to the point where it couldn't be consistent with what we consider idle.

Last edited:
LOL.

Probably, a lot can be attributed to configuration as well. A system with it's power plan set to "Performance" with min and max processor power state settings both set to 100% is not going to have the same idle characteristics as one set to Performance, but with a minimum processor power state of 5-8%. Further, one with Cool N Quiet enabled or various other C-states enabled, or a balanced power configuration enabled, is going to be even further different. So, from system to system, "idle" might mean significantly different things.

How the power plan is configured, how the BIOS is configured and how Windows is configured have SIGNIFICANT impact on what "idle" means.

Reactions: Phaaze88
It's enough of a discussion that Computronix actually included an entire section (Section 13) on it in his Intel temperature guide. I'd certainly LIKE to do something similar, for Ryzen, but I'm neither an engineer (As he is) nor do I have the time or intelligence that he has, in order to accomplish such an undertaking. We can however take some of the content of that section and apply it to practically any architecture, whether Intel or AMD, to draw some conclusions. If you haven't read the Intel temperature guide, it would be a good thing to do even for Ryzen users because much of what is outlined there applies equally to both Intel and AMD platforms. Especially now that Ryzen is not a thermal margin architecture like prior generations were.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
At that point you SHOULD be seeing very low usage on only a single core that bounces around from core to core to balance the thermal load among different points on the package.
That would be true, if it was an intel cpu. It isn't, it's Ryzen, at idle states Ryzen puts all the cores inactive except 1, so the entire load of any/all background services and processes is only on a single preferred core. It's why Intel sees lower idle temps, the load is split up amongst the individual cores, so each core has a relatively low load, and temps are read from the highest at any given time. Ryzen gets a full load reading on just the 1 core all the time, so naturally runs higher.

You'll also see higher generated spikes for the same reason, with Intel if you have 3 services start simultaneously they get dumped on 3 seperate cores, and just the hottest is read. With Ryzen, all 3 services would stack on the single core, so sees a much higher spike until that's done with.

Last edited:

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Hello, I built my pc about 3 months ago, I posted another question about my gpu's temps, but I wanted to talk about my cpu's temps as well, my 3900x idles at about 52 average, stock speed, stock fan, when I am playing heavy games (BF1, overwatch. rainbow six siege, Shadow of the tomb raider etc.) I am hitting 72c tops, usually sits around 60-65. I am ok with the temps in-game and I am pretty sure that they are not bad but the idle temps seem odd... is it normal? I will stress test tonight and I will update this thread with the results.

Only max temps matter as said. Does seem a bit strange though. I am still using an i7 2600K @ 4.5 ghz oc from nearly 10 years ago, haven't reapplied thermal paste in years and mine idles in the high 20s. More case fans, airflow, better cooler could bring those down possibly but as long as your load temps are fine it's not a big issue

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well it wasn't meant to be an exact comparison. I'm merely pointing out that those are unusual idle temps under normal conditions for a desktop CPU of either make
Negative.
Ryzen 3000 is a completely different beast from what most are used to. 'Idle' thermals like that aren't unheard of with them.
That the OP is using the 3900X's stock cooler doesn't help things, as it's only really adequate with the 3600, 3600X, and 3700X, if the chassis has good airflow... although Darkbreeze would disagree with me here, saying that the stock cooler isn't adequate regardless of which cpu.

None of the Ryzen systems I've built have idled in the 50's, so, I guess the ones I used must have been different than the ones everybody else is using.

Which doesn't change the fact that if it idled at 70°C and maximim load temps under a full, 100% steady state load, was 80°C, it would still be fine.

TRENDING THREADS