Question Ryzen 3950x doesn't down-clock when idle.

MisterNguyen

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
I recently built my second gaming PC, but this is my first time using an AMD processor. I haven't overclocked the CPU or RAM (XMP profile is set to run at default speed of 3600Mhz). Using Core Temp to monitor my temperature, I notice that my 3950x will occasionally boost up to 4.3 Ghz at idle, but it will not down-clock itself below 3.3 Ghz, which results in high idle temp; the processor is currently sitting at 42C in a 19C ambient setting, and it's cooled by a Deepcool Castle 360 EX with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

My motherboard is the MSI Godlike X570. All settings are at default; nothing has been overclocked. I also have the latest BIOS and AMD chipset updates.

MisterNguyen

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
42c seems fine for idle, remember this is a 16 core CPU.

I would try changing Windows power management to Ryzen balanced mode.

I currently have my power settings set to Ryzen Balanced mode. My concern is the CPU not downclocking itself below 3.3 Ghz. 42C seems fine for now since it's winter here in Southern California, but I'd hate to see how high the temp will go up during the summer....

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I tried that, and it helped a little. At 5%, the lowest clock on idle was 2.2 Ghz. I also read Reddit that we should keep the minimum processor state at 99%, which is default. Is this the norm with Ryzen CPUs? This is my first AMD processor.
I have mine set at 20% minimum processor state and 2.2 GHz is what I see at idle with my 3700x using the AMD Ryzen Balanced Plan.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
If you set your CPU to any level lower than 100%, it means your CPU can run below its clocked speed which then means it is slowing down. But the OS will recognize when there is a load and ramp up the speed as needed when the demand requires it so this should not be a concern...