[SOLVED] Ryzen 3960X Running hot? H115i Cooler

Nov 3, 2020
Just got a new PC with Ryzen 3960X and Corsair H115i. I'm a little concerned about my temps and settings for my cooler.

Under full load, rendering an animation in KeyShot, I'm getting ~88° C with "extreme" preset for my cooler fans and pump. With everything at "balance" I get ~90° C, and with fans at "quiet" and pump at "balance", I get 92-93°.
-Should I be concerned with temps and any other 3960X owners have similar temps?
-Will it affect my cooler running it at "extreme", in terms of longevity etc?

Note, my room is a little warm! Help welcomed cheers!

Rest of system;

AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
64GB Ram
1TB M.2 NVME SSD
Corsair HX1200 PSU
Cosair Triple Fan (2 top, 1 rear)
RTX 2060 Super
Case 275Q (with the top sound damp bit off)

Solution
Cpu idle is perfectly normal, actually it's a little on the cooler side for AMD idle temps which are quite commonly 40ish°C with spikes to 60ish°C.

Amd is honest about 1 thing especially and that's the TDP. None of their current lineups breach TDP values unless the user demands it be so. So the cpu will protect itself, and does so by downclocking the boost and the corresponding voltages. Which is why the pc under those loads sits at 4.0GHz, (base is 3.8GHz) and only sees 4.5GHz when lightly loaded.

But that still puts the cpu over what most would consider a safe thermal value, somewhere around 70°C for extended usage.

What you can do is set the affiliations, in the settings somewhere you can set how many cores are actually used by...
Nov 3, 2020
Ah shoot. Without having a thermometer, I couldn't be sure of room temp. But it would definitely be 25°C or more, but not 30°. The PC is also sitting on ground, in corner of room, which is carpet, but carpet isnt touching, with at least 2cm clearance with the case legs. I'm guessing it might need a bit more space to breath?

Haven't touched settings, AMD RYZEN MASTER program shows it is running at 4 Ghz.

EDIT: Space is limited, hence choice of placement!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Eh, I'd disagree.

That's a 3960X Threadripper with 24 cores, 48 threads and a TDP of 280w. That's a massive source of heat when doing a full core burn at 4.0GHz with close to 100% usage that rendering can apply.

Your AIO is good for somewhere around 300-350w TDP, meaning it's going it's about 1 step better than what'd be considered a stock cooling solution.

The case/floor clearance doesn't affect anything really other than probably the psu, and 2cm is plenty for that. Almost all your 'breathing room' will come from the airflow created by the ibtake/exhaust fans and you'll know if that's inadequate by higher than what would be considered normal Ryzen/TR behavior at idle.

To be honest, processors like yours, put under usage such as you have done, are a really good excuse to invest in Full custom liquid loops, where having a TDP of 400w+ is easily accomplished, and far more effective at managing extreme workloads over extended periods.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nov 3, 2020
Appreciate all the input. Since it's my first time having a CPU with more cores than I could count on my right hand, I had some help with putting it together, so unfortunately don't have any thermal paste to spare.

The CPU sits around 35 to 40° when idle. Perhaps a future upgrade for cooling would be great, since I only just purchased. I think a mix of a hot space and poor room ventilation certainly doesn't help (3rd floor room/office where most of the house heat seems to travel).

My main concern is now whether running my cooler at "extreme" is going to have any adverse affects when it comes to the coolers' life time? And any suggested fan curves so it's quiet when under low load and good to go when under full?

Cheers!

UPDATE: With some cough ventilation solutions, such as window safety latch removal, the rooms in a lot cooler & 6 screws poorer. CPU is now sitting at 85° solid and cooler at 32°. That 3° difference makes me think room ambience and where the PC lives will make a difference. Still curious to know effect of having "extreme" on long-term.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu idle is perfectly normal, actually it's a little on the cooler side for AMD idle temps which are quite commonly 40ish°C with spikes to 60ish°C.

Amd is honest about 1 thing especially and that's the TDP. None of their current lineups breach TDP values unless the user demands it be so. So the cpu will protect itself, and does so by downclocking the boost and the corresponding voltages. Which is why the pc under those loads sits at 4.0GHz, (base is 3.8GHz) and only sees 4.5GHz when lightly loaded.

But that still puts the cpu over what most would consider a safe thermal value, somewhere around 70°C for extended usage.

What you can do is set the affiliations, in the settings somewhere you can set how many cores are actually used by that program, instead of using the full 48 threads, cut it back to 36 or 40 or so, so when rendering for long periods, you aren't using the full cpu amount, but for other, lighter usage, you do.

I use the silent/quiet mode as a base start, what you'd adjust is the top of the curve, you'll want fans/pump at 100% by the time it gets to 70ish. At 55°ish you'll be closer to 50% fans etc.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that's unfortunate(paste).
I figured this was one of those threads where the copper cold plate of the cooler in question wasn't making full cover over the multiple dies beneath the IHS, something which Noctua's NH-U14S TR4 SP3 does...

Last edited: