[SOLVED] Ryzen 3rd gen upgrade

Gargamel420

Honorable
Dec 6, 2016
hello,
as many people I'm also planning to upgrade PC with the arrival of new Ryzen generation CPUs. Pc should be mostly for gaming ocassional video editing.
Full possible budget is up to 700 EUR max. for me right now.

Currently i have something like this in my mind:
Ryzen 3600
ASRock - Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Cooler Master - Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler or SilentiumPC Fera 3 HE1224
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold currently running on OCz 550w bronze plus
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
around 640 EUr at my local store.

Not planning OC on CPU only using auto OC which should be pretty enough for me - i don't want stock cooler since i noticed that PBO isn't working well with it. So far i'm on 1080p / 60hz monitor with RX 480 4gb ( planning to upgrade both of them later ).
Also i need new case for which i need recommendation from someone more skilled with building pcs, i dont want it to be some high end case. For budget reasons i think it should be max around to 75 EUR. - was looking at SilentiumPC Armis AR5 TG as possible one.

what do you pros thinks about this build ?
maybe some better b450 MB will be also enough for this CPU and it will boost correctly on it with PBO ?

thanks for your help and have a nice day

Ah ok. Well in that case I wouldn't get an aftermarket cooler at all. The one that comes with the Ryzen is actually really good, and there isn't much point buying a new one unless it is for water cooling. However, look at the other components. They were a lot cheaper than 640 euros, so it might be better to buy them online rather than at the local store.

There's not much overclocking headroom for Ryzen third gen anyways, so i've been suggesting that people stick with the stock wraith cooler. If PBO doesn't work well with the stock cooler, then that usually means a future bios update will address the problem. I would try the stock cooler first because you might find that it is perfectly adequate.

A great budget case is the Fractal Design Focus G and it comes in many colors. It comes with two fans, and I usually recommend purchasing an extra fan to install for exhaust. Did you verify that motherboard will come with an updated bios to support third gen Ryzen processors? Some motherboards support flashing the bios without needed a processor, but if that motherboard doesn't have that feature, you'll have to use a 2nd gen Ryzen processor to accomplish the task.

Reactions: ConanLock

Gargamel420

Honorable
Dec 6, 2016
hi there,
yes the asrock already stated that they will release BIOS with Ryzen 3rd. gen support for all their boards, i think the x470 BIOS updates are already available to download.
PC will be build at my friends house, he owns 2600 ryzen so BIOS flashing shouldn't be problem.

Don't know about MSI B450 tomahawk, however i want to wait with upgrade for atleast 2-3 weeks longer so there would be more BIOS tests published for x470/450 MBs.
About cooler, main reason is that i seen in Hardware unboxed review of ryzen 3600 that on stock cooler the CPU with autoOC and PBO enabled maintained only about 4ghz clock on 80+ degrees and with AIO cooler id boosted to the 4.2ghz with lower temperatures ( i think better air cooler will be enough for this CPU no need for liquid ).
Its possible as you said that this will be fixed be new BIOS updates. Maybe i will try stock at first and see how the termals / performance will be and then decide about new one.

For case i've been recommended by friend to invest into NZXT H500 so i think i will check it out.
Also i want 650w PSU because i plan to buy new GPU later this year, will this be enough for 5700xt or 2070s ? From reviews i saw already it should be enough.

Sure asrock will release an updated bios. The question is, what bios version will be on the motherboard you purchase? You're taking a chance to run into a senario where you only have a ryzen 3rd gen processor and a motherboard without the necessary bios revision for the system to post. If that is the case, you WILL need a 2nd gen chip to accomplish the task.

Yes, the 650w PSU should be enough, even for the 2070 or 5700. As for the case, the H500 is a good choice, although for keeping temps down the Fractal Design Focus G that SgtScream and myself recommended will be better due to the open front. With this case, if you also get 1 extra fan for the back you might match the temperature with the stock cooler compared to the H500 with the 212x

Gargamel420

Honorable
Dec 6, 2016
thx all for tips, i have ryzen 2nd gen available if necessary to flash BIOS
for case i think fractal design would be good i just dont like that 5.25" drive bay at top :/ it will be okay if i could remove it but i read its unmountable