[SOLVED] Ryzen 4600G compatibility

Aug 23, 2021
Alright gentlefolks,
My friend is trying to convert his HP prebuilt into a proper gaming PC. So far, he's done alright for himself but there's a few lingering questions, other than at this point most of it is just not going to work.
The HP's built in board is trash and needs to be swapped out for a proper mobo. The Cpu in it, Ryzen 4600G is the product of an OEM only partnership and therefore there's little to nothing out there to help figure out what the hell it actually is, and as an intel person myself I know next to nothing about AMD chipsets and don't want to steer him wrong.
He wants to put a Asus 550-F motherboard into the PC as the "Erica5" motherboard the HP comes with has an integrated PSU of 180w and no 24-pin connecter for the 650w psu or GTX 1560 that will need a home.
Is this compatible in any way?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
He wants to put a Asus 550-F motherboard into the PC
unless this board is specifically made by ASUS as a replacement to fit in this particular model HP i doubt it will work.

most of these prebuilts are using proprietary motherboards, power supplies, and cases that cannot be switched out with standard versions.

usually the I\O panel placement and the motherboard standoffs are not aligned for standard boards.
and the PSU is either assembled into the case or is just an odd size in an odd compartment that will not house a standard power supply.

your "friend" will be much better off just purchasing decent hardware and building a new system.

even if you could theoretically mod the case to fit standard hardware this is much more...
He wants to put a Asus 550-F motherboard into the PC
unless this board is specifically made by ASUS as a replacement to fit in this particular model HP i doubt it will work.

most of these prebuilts are using proprietary motherboards, power supplies, and cases that cannot be switched out with standard versions.

usually the I\O panel placement and the motherboard standoffs are not aligned for standard boards.
and the PSU is either assembled into the case or is just an odd size in an odd compartment that will not house a standard power supply.

your "friend" will be much better off just purchasing decent hardware and building a new system.

even if you could theoretically mod the case to fit standard hardware this is much more hassle than it's worth just to keep a crappy low airflow case.
i doubt there's even anything in it worth salvaging except maybe some extra storage.

Solution
Aug 23, 2021
He's got a new proper ATX case, sorry. The prefab is a solid hunk of metal that doesn't work for this lol. At this point the "salvage" is just the Ryzen CPU, the HDD and the RAM because little by little it's come down to the prebuilt not working

the "salvage" is just the Ryzen CPU, the HDD and the RAM
the Ryzen 5 4600G is a low tier 6 core CPU that would probably be fine for regular desktop browsing or some office or school work.
but i wouldn't be building a new system around it for sure.

the RAM will also be lower quality than most would want to bother with.
usually bad timings, lower speeds, and no heatsinks whatsoever.

that Strix B550 board was strictly advertised as an AMD 3rd Gen so it should pair with that processor.
i doubt Lenovo, HP, or Dell would use altered CPU slots for any special OEM deal.

it seems like a waste to use a nicer board like that with this CPU and crap memory.
but it will be a decent platform for further upgrades though.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021
the Ryzen 5 4600G a low tier 6 core CPU that would probably be fine for regular desktop browsing or some office or school work.
but i wouldn't be building a new system around it for sure.

the RAM will also be lower quality than most would want to bother with.
usually bad timings, lower speeds, and no heatsinks whatsoever.

that Strix B550 board was strictly advertised as an AMD 3rd Gen so it should pair with that processor.
i doubt Lenovo, HP, or Dell would use altered CPU slots for any special OEM deal.

it seems like a waste to use a nicer board like that with this CPU and crap memory.
but it will be a decent platform for further upgrades though.
I'll let him know he's <Mod Edit> out of luck and already has half the PC he wants and to try and get rid of the Prefab and start fresh. I had advised just eating cost up front with a prebuilt but y'know. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator: