[SOLVED] Ryzen 4th gen components (RAM, PSU and case)

orifiel

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Hey there.
Ive decided to purchase a gen 4 RYZEN CPU. I need a new computer, but I can wait a month or two for gen 4.
I focus mostly on longevity for my new built. I want it to last many years, not into buying new pc every 2-3 years. I play video games but mostly mmos and some action RPG games. I use some software mostly for research purpose, such as, GIS, R language, word, excel, powerpoint, photoshop, some video editing adobe after effects.. So sometimes I load many many browsers...

I decided to go for 32gigs of ddr4 ram at 3600-4000ghz and my question is...

2 dimms or 4 dimms. 4 dimms are much more expensive that 2 dimms and I am not sure what suits Ryzen best. I will give an example of what RAM I am about to purchase at the end of this month and I would love some suggestions there.

I will delay for my GPU as I wait for the low to high end AMPERE gpus (GTX 3600 or 3500TI or I may go for none OEM GTX 3700 depends my budget near December).

Here is a list of components am about to purchase at the end of this month and please feel free to give me your opinions.

The overall budget for ram I calculate it around 220 euros
Here is a list of components am about to purchase at the end of this month and please feel free to give me your opinions.

Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-3600MHz (BL2K16G36C16U4W)
Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-3600MHz (BL2K16G36C16U4RL)
G.Skill TridentZ Neo 32GB DDR4-3600MHz (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-4000MHz (F4-4000C18Q-32GTZRB)
G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4-4000MHz (F4-4000C18Q-32GTZ)
G.Skill TridentZ Neo 32GB DDR4-3600MHz (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC)
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-4000MHz (F4-4000C18Q-32GVK)

PC case
NZXT H510 WHITE
NZXT H510i WHITE tempered glass

Could you please suggest me a PSU from corsair, thermaltake, coolermaster, xilence.
I think it is early to ask for CPU cooler...

Thats it for now (next month or in 2 months I will purchase the cpu and mobo).

Last edited:
Solution
I don't know much about PC components as I only recently started building and being knowledgeable, but I am pretty confident in saying that the more Ram slots you have, the better. I don't know the margin of how much better, but considering Ryzen CPU's are notorious for benefitting from faster RAM, that sliver of improvement might make your system very fast. I would say to sacrifice the RGB and buy non-RGB, 4 sticks of 8gb ddr4 3600 w a CAS latency of 16 ms or better.
Wrong! Ryzen especially is very finicky when using 4 RAM modules. You will have much less problems getting 2 sticks of RAM to operate at XMP settings than 4.
Sep 5, 2020
I don't know much about PC components as I only recently started building and being knowledgeable, but I am pretty confident in saying that the more Ram slots you have, the better. I don't know the margin of how much better, but considering Ryzen CPU's are notorious for benefitting from faster RAM, that sliver of improvement might make your system very fast. I would say to sacrifice the RGB and buy non-RGB, 4 sticks of 8gb ddr4 3600 w a CAS latency of 16 ms or better.

Sep 5, 2020
I also want to add that if you plan on upgrading to Ampere or big navi, I would go with a reputable PSU brand (Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, etc.) with at least 650 watts on an 80+ bronze or better rating. I am facing a similar conundrum with my build for the 3070 but that's not relevant. Also, the case is really your preference. I don't know the difference between the "i" and non "i" versions of the H510, but they look identical. I would go with the cheaper of the two, or if you haven't seen it, look at the elite. That case is gorgeous, but pricey.

orifiel

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I may add my old psu a corsair 850w platinum and modular. Not interested for amd gpus and for the cpu thing, I do remember ryzen cpus dont care much for ram latency (?) Things may have change (?) I remember ryzen cpus care for fast rams most and less for latency.

Lets see what the others have to say about the ram thing too.

Wrong! Ryzen especially is very finicky when using 4 RAM modules. You will have much less problems getting 2 sticks of RAM to operate at XMP settings than 4.

Solution