Hi all, I am have just built a Ryzen 5 PC with specs:

Ryzen 5 1400 oc to 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 8GB running at 2933
MSI B350M Bazooka
Gigabyte GTX 1050
Corsair CX 550M PSU
WD Blue M.2 SSD 256GB
WD Blue 1TB HDD 7200RPM

I have been experiencing screen flickers and black screens and stuttering even when running the lowest demanding games (i.e. Rocket League, CSGO), it is to the point the game cannot be played at all. CSGO would not even make it till the map loading screen. I need some serious help, any help would be greatly appreciated.

lewis02

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

It could be CPU instability. Try reverting your CPU to default settings and see if that helps.

Mar 6, 2018
Even at stock i am experiencing this. And i've updated everything to the latest drivers using GeForce Experience. Also downloaded the latest BIOS using MSI Live Update 6.

Mar 6, 2018

Even at stock i am experiencing this. And i've updated everything to the latest drivers using GeForce Experience. Also downloaded the latest BIOS using MSI Live Update 6.

Did you always experience this problem? Or did it happen recently after updating windows for example? Or is this a new build?

Mar 6, 2018

It is a new build and I am getting increasingly frustrated at this issue.

jr9

Estimable
Step 1 would be to revert your overclock if you are having system issues.

If that doesn't help, I would run Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all graphics card drivers in safe mode. After that, boot into normal Windows and install the graphics card drivers from nVIDIA. Only select the display driver and Physx from the installer, leave out everything else especially GeForce experience. Restart and see if performance is better.

Ensure the display connection on both ends (GPU and display) is secure.

This issue is very unlikely to be CPU related unless you are getting complete system crashes or shutdowns.

Mar 6, 2018

Somehow I can't seem to boot into safe mode the screen just remains black lol

Update: Did what you said but still the same

You should still be able to run DDU in normal mode. It will give you a warning though. But that said you can then go to nvidia.com and download the latest drivers, and tell the installer to do a basic install and tell it to do the clean installation as well.

Sounds more like a graphics card issue or motherboard issue to me though. If the system is booting and working otherwise, then the CPU seems to be working The only way to know would be to try a different graphics card. If that doesn't work, then try a different motherboard. But that said, a system I worked on once had this type of issue, turned out the graphics card was an open box card that would allow you to install Windows, boot up etc. But when you got to windows after the driver was installed them you'd get random events like you are experiencing.

Did you install the drivers from Nvidia's site originally? Or did you let windows use whatever drivers it thought was best? I ask because sometimes the drivers from Windows updates seem flaky and can cause weird issues.

Mar 6, 2018

I did an uninstallation using ddu in safe mode and downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia, tried CSGO but still flickering and totally unplayable.

The thing is this that this is a new build so i don't have any spare GPUs around to test if the 1050 is the problem or not

Point taken. The Ryzen 1400 would not have any graphics built into it at all, so I don't see where it's the culprit if the computer starts and runs. Depending where you bought the card, can you return it? You might see if a friend or someone has a card you can try in it just to test. Also, I would maybe check and see if there are any bios updates available for your motherboard. There might be a bug in the bios of your board that is giving you issues.

I did find this in the GeForce forums.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/981857/geforce-drivers/gtx-1050-ti-black-flickering-screen/

One guy at the bottom of the page said this.

"my "fix" was to set the power management to: Prefer maximum performance from the nvidia control panel -manage 3D settings options."

Maybe look at that also.

Mar 6, 2018

BIOS updated to latest, maximum performance too. Still the same, but i tested csgo on 720p 4:3 and i could surprisingly play a game

As I said, the time I saw this before, it was a GPU. Do you have a Microcenter nearby? If so they usually have decent deals. May even check best buy or if you have a Fry's nearby, check them. I've never been in one of their stores but some guys seem to like them.

What I'm saying if you can still get a refund, you may try to find a GPU locally. If so, then you could test it and possibly return the original one you bought. But if you can try another graphics card and it doesn't work, then there could be something wrong with your motherboard. I would say however that the best place to start is with a different graphics card.

jr9

Estimable
Did you perform a clean install of Windows when you built this PC? If not then I would try that.

If you get a black screen in safe mode that tells you that the graphics card itself is malfunctioning because nVIDIA drivers aren't even loaded at that point, assuming you don't have OS corruption. I would personally RMA the graphics card if I got black screens in safe mode on a fresh Windows installation. Sometimes graphics cards just don't work out of the box.

Mar 6, 2018

I'm living in Singapore and does not have Microcenter nearby. I ordered my GPU from Amazon during Black Friday probably the shipping damaged the GPU?

Mar 6, 2018

I installed it fresh using a USB stick and the windows media tool. I'm guessing its the GPU too