Ryzen 5 1400 GPU Pairing. Bottlenecking

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am looking a for a GPU to pair with my ryzen 5 1400. I am waiting for the prices to stabilize a little but I have my eyes on a GTX 1060 3GB SC, 1050 ti or the RX 580.

Will any of those gpus bottleneck with the cpu? I don't plan on overclocking. Also if anyone has suggestions for other gpus, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks

Solution
Hey dont worry non of these gpu will bottleneck with your cpu, Also Ryzen 3 will be out on 26th july and Ryzen 3 + gtx 1060 6gb will be the best budget combo and most value for money build, also if possible go for 6b variant that will last longer as lot of game require more vram at higher setting.
So ryzen 5 1400 + gtx 1060 3gb
or
ryzen 3 1300 + 1060 6gb

dont go for 1050ti.

San0326

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016
Hey dont worry non of these gpu will bottleneck with your cpu, Also Ryzen 3 will be out on 26th july and Ryzen 3 + gtx 1060 6gb will be the best budget combo and most value for money build, also if possible go for 6b variant that will last longer as lot of game require more vram at higher setting.
So ryzen 5 1400 + gtx 1060 3gb
or
ryzen 3 1300 + 1060 6gb

dont go for 1050ti.

Solution

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017

Ok thanks, I get what you're saying, I just had a question about the Ryzen 3 chips. Would there be a significant performance difference in double the thread count for like gaming and light multitasking? I looked at compadid one between the Ryzen 3 1300x and Ryzen 5 1400, but couldn't tell if the extra threads are worth it.

San0326

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016

Well it actually depends on what work you do, i mean if you are only gonna use it for gaming then those extra threads won't help as of now without the actual physical cores in cpu, threads will certainly help but in applications like heavy 3d rendering, Photoshop or premier pro then threads will be used, but in games nothing matters as much has having the actual physical cores.

If you have seen ryzen5 cpu usage you must have noticed that cpu usage is usually around 60-70 percent in games right, so now because of more threads workload of cpu is shared which keeps the usage low but without those extra threads the usgae will go up as less thread means workload will fall on whatever thread which are available

Consider cores as brain and thread as hand and more thread is like your brain can use one hand to write and other to scratch your head or whatever but with one hand you would have stop or finish the activity to begin with another.

Say ur cpu has 4 cores and 8 threads and usage is 60-70 percent on a game like BF1

And other cpu has 4 cores and 4threads so the usage will be 70-85 percent

But say cpu has 6 cores and 6threads same game will give you 50-60 or 60-70 Percent usage along with some extra fps as having more cores means a lot more than having extra threads

So extra thread in future games is a need but as of now your cpu is more than capable of handling anything you throw at it.

I'm not sure if m explaining this right to you, it all comes down to your usage and need

What is the build you are planning?

I m switching to ryzen 1400 or 1500 +Gtx 1060 3g but now waiting for ryzen 3 myself so i can buy gtx 1060 6gb.

Harrison_Wells

Reputable
Jun 29, 2017

My build is essentially the exact same as yours, gtx 1060 (probs 6gb) along with 8gb of ram and eitber a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 3. I understand what you're saying and I'm leaning towards Ryzen 3. Thr extra boost in speed will be really good for gaming now and I Can always upgrade if I need more threads in the future. I won't be using many heavy applications at all, apart from eclipse and other IDEs, but those should work no problem on either cpu. For now gonna wait until the Ryzen 3 1300x comes out and look at some benchmarks.
Thanks for the help really appreciate it, also great explanations :D