[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1400 to Ryzen 7 2700X?

Xanthic

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016
Hi guys,

My friend is looking to upgrade his PC, as he's getting bad performance. He mainly plays CSGO, getting around 120fps on all low with a 1400 and a RX 580, sometimes higher sometimes lower. From what I've gathered, 1400 and 2700X are both AM4, so it should be compatible with his mobo. Would this be a good upgrade? If not can I get some good suggestions for better CPUs? It seems like he doesn't want to buy a new mobo and CPU but I'm sure I could change his mind if its a substantial improvement.

Thanks

Solution
Depends on the motherboard. Just because it's compatible doesn't make it a good idea. Many budget motherboards will struggle with a 2700x in terms of power delivery. The new 3600 is likely to be the better upgrade in terms of power delivery requirements. Not to mention it is a better gaming CPU than the 2700x.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Depends on the motherboard. Just because it's compatible doesn't make it a good idea. Many budget motherboards will struggle with a 2700x in terms of power delivery. The new 3600 is likely to be the better upgrade in terms of power delivery requirements. Not to mention it is a better gaming CPU than the 2700x.

Solution

Xanthic

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016

Thanks, I'll check that out. Would it be worth it to pay an extra $20-30 for the 3600X?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Thanks, I'll check that out. Would it be worth it to pay an extra $20-30 for the 3600X?
No. The 200mhz auto OC feature seems to only really work on the 3600. It doesn't really seem to do anything on any of the other 3000 CPU's. When you turn it on it pretty much turns the 3600 into a 3600x. It's better to buy the 3600 and a $30-$40 tower air cooler. I've tested both CPU's so this is first hand expirience. Find out what motherboard he has before moving forward. Are you or your friend from the US? If you are, and have a micro center in your area, you can get a $50 discount on a motherboard when you buy a 3000 cpu. You can get a capable motherboard for about $30 in this scenario if necessary.

Xanthic

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016
No. The 200mhz auto OC feature seems to only really work on the 3600. It doesn't really seem to do anything on any of the other 3000 CPU's. When you turn it on it pretty much turns the 3600 into a 3600x. It's better to buy the 3600 and a $30-$40 tower air cooler. I've tested both CPU's so this is first hand expirience. Find out what motherboard he has before moving forward. Are you or your friend from the US? If you are, and have a micro center in your area, you can get a $50 discount on a motherboard when you buy a 3000 cpu. You can get a capable motherboard for about $30 in this scenario if necessary.

Alright, I'll tell him about the 3600, thanks. Yeah, I'm going to get him to download CPUID to find out his mobo, I don't want to make him buy anything yet. If he needs a new board I'll tell him to check out Microcenters. (Thanks for letting me know about that deal at micro center, I'm Canadian so I wasn't aware.) Appreciate your recommendation lots!

Reactions: rigg42
Alright, I'll tell him about the 3600, thanks. Yeah, I'm going to get him to download CPUID to find out his mobo, I don't want to make him buy anything yet. If he needs a new board I'll tell him to check out Microcenters. (Thanks for letting me know about that deal at micro center, I'm Canadian so I wasn't aware.) Appreciate your recommendation lots!
Depending on the motherboard he already has, A BIOS updates may be all that's needed to install the 3600 - which is indeed the best CPU for his use case.

TRENDING THREADS