Ryzen 5 1500x boosting on idle??

May 20, 2018
Some months ago I built my first system with the Ryzen 5 1500x, stock cooler and TIM, MSI B350 Gaming Carbon Pro,2 x Corsair Veangeance 2666 4gb and a MSI Gaming X GTX 1060.

Everything works fine, no crashes etc, but I'm a bit ''worried'' about the 1500x clock speed and temps.

On idle it's always boosting(?) to 3600MHz (sometimes even to the full 3900MHZ). Also the temps are all over the place, at idle, while maintaining the 3600MHZ, it's trying to stay at ~40C but keeps peaking to 55C+. Under load I had a max temp of ~75C. The ambient temps are about 25C max so that won't be a problem.

Is this normal for the 1500x or is there something wrong in the settings or with my chip?

May 20, 2018

I'm sorry I'm not following you. I know there are always some programs active in the background using the CPU, but ''idle'' on the desktop with only Speccy, MSI Afterburner OR MSI Gaming app open, there shouldn't be a reason for the cpu to boost up and temps to spike every few seconds, as far as I know of.

Please correct me if i'm wrong though!

May 20, 2018

So this is normal behaviour? As I said in the post this is my first system so i'm quite new to al this. I'm just wondering if there is something wrong or not.

May 20, 2018

Thanks for the tip about Ryzen Master! But does that also mean that MSI Gaming app and MSI Afterburner read constant cpu clockspeeds of 3600 - 3900 MHz?

(sorry if it's a stupiud question btw)

HWMonitor will give you the best true readings of core speeds/temps..

In Balanced mode, the clock speeds might jump from 800- 3.6 GHz very quickly, and can change 10-20 times per second with starting/stopping of assorted Windows tasks, with core voltages changing almost as quickly, and temps in lockstep with the changes...

With no browser open, and nothing really happening, start a Defender scan, and see the speeds ramp upward, and then lower when complete...(assuming on Balanced power plan)

55-60C temps at any sort of load are quite mild....

May 20, 2018

I did as you said, and the speeds go up from 3600MHz to 3900MHz (which is the boost). Though after restarting the system, opening nothing but task manager and HWMonitor and letting it sit for 30 mins, the clockspeeds won't come below 3600 MHz, even with a max CPU usage of ~7%.

The temps are fine I know that but it's just the constant peaking and clockspeeds I'm a bit ''worried'' about. Like with my gpu the clockspeeds come down on idle.