ryzen 5 1600/1600x or i5 7600k?

xeth0709

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Hi guys! I'm planning to upgrade my cpu/board in around 2 or 3 months, and I need advice on which cpu to get. Currently, I'm using an i3 6100, 16gb ram and an Asus ROG strix rx 480. I've had no problems running any recent/new game on ultra settings at 1080p with fps ranging from 60-100+.

I wanted to get back into video editing/gameplay video capture/streaming but I've noticed that's where I feel/experience bottlenecking from the 6100.

I've always been an intel user and I haven't used amd cpus ever, and I was wondering if the ryzen 5 1500x/1600/1600x are good picks. I was intent on getting one but saw the i5 7600k and it made me hesitate on the ryzen.

Which one should I get? Are there better buys that are around the price of either ryzen 5's or the 7600k? Can you guys recommend a better future-proof choice than these? As I've said, I'm planning to use the build not just for gaming. And I also plan to make this build last for a few years at least. I can probably scrounge up more funds for an i7 7700k, but I get this feeling that it's overkill and prolly don't need it and the additional funds could be better spent elsewhere in the build. I don't know why I feel like that lol.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: just to give you guys an idea on my typical usage, i always have multiple apps/clients running, along with several browser pages, plus a game running, and sometimes an additional monitor with a movie/tv series episode running on it. I tend to do that (playing while watching) when the activity in the game I'm playing doesn't require my full attention, such as doing dailies in an mmo, or doing repetitive sidequests in another game. But if it's a competitive game/match I just pause tthe movie player and just let the app running while I focus on the game

Solution
crossfire is a waste of money, just as sli, just buy a good gpu like that 1070 because two gpus will not work on most games and in some they will work weird, very few games will use both gpus properly, from each 10 games perhaps 1 will use that option

about ram, unless you run a bunch of virtual machines in virtualbox, there is very few apps and programs that will use over 12 gbs of ram, perhaps editing and streaming could make you use over 16 gbs, but usually you play only, edit and stream later, well, depends on the situation

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
you already have a intel mainboard that can be upgraded to a newer cpu, do a bious update on the mianboard and buy a i7

if you don't have 16 gbs of ram, install another module to get there

the gpu you have is good but there are better

if you go for ryzen the cost is ram, mainboard and cpu, also a gpu to go with it, the cheapest path here is intel

xeth0709

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
I'm already using 16gb ddr4 rams (8gb x 2). If I go intel I'm still going to replace my board, as my current one is just an asus h110m-d, and I'd like to get a better one for the possibility of using 32gb ram or crossfirex.

I will probably go crossfirex or at least a 1070. 1080 is possible but not in the near future. I want to focus on my cpu for now as I feel it's the weakest link in my rig.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
crossfire is a waste of money, just as sli, just buy a good gpu like that 1070 because two gpus will not work on most games and in some they will work weird, very few games will use both gpus properly, from each 10 games perhaps 1 will use that option

about ram, unless you run a bunch of virtual machines in virtualbox, there is very few apps and programs that will use over 12 gbs of ram, perhaps editing and streaming could make you use over 16 gbs, but usually you play only, edit and stream later, well, depends on the situation

Solution