[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600 @3.9Ghz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

winncootMKD

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
So lately I wanted to OC my Ryzen 5 1600 and decided to go for 3.9Ghz for 24/7 use.

I am using HWMonitor to monitor the CPU temp, as AIDA's temp isnt accurate I think.
So firstly I started on Prime95 and when I selected Smallest FFT the CPU temp would go up to 77c (Stock Cooler) and crash, but on Blend all mode it was around 62/63c (Stock Cooler) and did not crash. So I dont know what are those two modes different. An explanation would be awesome!

But then as I've read on forums, AIDA64 was the best for CPU stress. So i downloaded it.

Core Clock: 3.9Ghz
VCORE: 1.356/1.368
Max temp: 68/69/70c (varies) (Stock Cooler)

It crashed once, but bumbped the VCORE and it was all good, used to crash around 5,6 minute mark and here I am 30mins in the middle of it, still running smooth, I opened Chrome to write down this thread and boom, it froze (crashed)
I'm sure the crash was caused by Chrome with 14 tabs waiting to load.
My question is, is that Core Voltage Safe for 24/7 use, and should I get Aftermarket cooler for Cooler CPU temp and if so, which one. I've read that better Cooling more CPU life?
Whats the best for the CPU to last longer while overclocked? :)

Any overclockint tips, I'm open to them :D

(Also an explanation for the prime95 modes would be appreciated) Thanks!

Solution
Stress news:
So just crashed at around 125min mark and I might be sure that that is because i tried to remote desktop via my phone.
Yet i bumped the offset from +0.0090 to +0.0094
Should be stable.
If temp's are still going good then why not??

Also...should it matter that it's the remote action that pushed it over the edge? After all, do you think that should be a source of instability on it's own?
Damn. Well I completly understand those who dont know much about computers. But I ready the updates and of course would not update to that BIOS.

But will defenetly get a new board probably 370 or idk.
I'm hoping MSI will not mind going with a strategy of killing support for Ryzen 1000 for their B450 boards because they implemented this 'BIOS Flash Back' feature. All you need to flash a BIOS is the BIOS on a USB stick and a PSU connected to the 24pin connector...no memory, no CPU, no GPU is needed. You plug the USB in the correct port, push the flashback button. And voila, you can run with your Ryzen 1000 processor again.

Seems crazy smart of them doing that, right about now.

Reactions: winncootMKD

winncootMKD

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
I'm hoping MSI will not mind going with a strategy of killing support for Ryzen 1000 for their B450 boards because they implemented this 'BIOS Flash Back' feature. All you need to flash a BIOS is the BIOS on a USB stick and a PSU connected to the 24pin connector...no memory, no CPU, no GPU is needed. You plug the USB in the correct port, push the flashback button. And voila, you can run with your Ryzen 1000 processor again.

Seems crazy smart of them doing that, right about now.
Thats awesome, will have im mind.

winncootMKD

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
Stress News:
Last crash at 58min mark had 15 “Result Hash Match”.
This time, in the middle of it, 90mins in and 12 “Result Hash Match”.
Temps went 2% higher but dont know why considering it was lower at higher voltage.
All in all will inform soon, but looks okay.

winncootMKD

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
Stress news:
So just crashed at around 125min mark and I might be sure that that is because i tried to remote desktop via my phone.
Should be stable.

Stress news:
Should be stable.
If temp's are still going good then why not??

Also...should it matter that it's the remote action that pushed it over the edge? After all, do you think that should be a source of instability on it's own?

Solution
If you keep getting errors as you are increasing vcore, and you are stable in AIDA64, I'd highly recommend you bump up your SOC voltage.

What is it at now? I'd say start at 1.55v on SOC and see if it is stable.

If so, then work DOWN your vcore if possible.

Yeah stress testing is a pain in the butt when you got SOC and core voltage to deal with LOL.

yes mouse lag is 100% normal.
Make sure you run 4GB of RAM on ROG RealBench. ;)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Best aircooler for those mobo's is the Noctua NH-C14S. It's an elevated downdraft style that puts a ton of airflow right on top of the socket, and floods the surrounding heatsinks. Most towers like the NH-D15S have bleed air that falls out the sides or runs underneath the cooler from slightly larger diameter fans than the heatsink, but at the back end of the cooler, under the heatsink where the VRM's sit, sees very little breeze.

For an aio, having it in pull config with slower than @ 1100rpm on the fans is best, the radiator in push diffuses the exhaust flow static pressure, so while you still get the cfm, it doesn't go far. If the fans aren't level with the socket, sticking a 120mm to the back of the optical or similar, works well too.

TRENDING THREADS