[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600 AF Compatibility Problem

MiniatureGaming

Commendable
Mar 8, 2020
Hello,
Long story short, back in 2017 when the Ryzen 1600X first came out one of my brothers friends bought it. He built a new computer but something went wrong and the motherboard died, then in late 2019 my brother got it from him since it was useless for him, we had no idea if the motherboard took the cpu with it. So we got ram, a sketchy biostar tb350 (the seller confirmed it worked and he was trustworthy), a psu and some other stuff. When i assembled the pc it didnt post... I checked everything and everything was fine. So i figured it was the cpu(pins were not bent). Later When amd released the 12nm Ryzen 1600 AF i bought it for about $100. The pc still did not boot. I think it was not working because the board was too old and i had to update the bios. So I guess the 1600x was dead and 1600 af wasnt compatible. I would appreciate if someone could confirm this and also recommend me a good b450 board for around $100.

SPECS :
ryzen 5 1600 af/1600x cpu
biostar tb350 board
1x gskill aegis 8gb 2666 ram
amd radeon R7 360 2gb gigabyte gpu
corsair vs 550 psu
1tb hdd
120gb wd green ssd
nzxt phantom 410 board
and bunch of random fans lol

Solution
As the AF is newer, and 12 nm, it might require a BIOS update...which can't be done if the mainboard is stuck with the old BIOS without a compatible CPU to do it with...assuming a BIOS update adding 1600AF compatibility is even available from BIOSTAR (if no BIOS updates within last 45-60 days, probably not)

I don't think many B450 boards are in the $100 range...; most I priced seemed to start at $130...
As the AF is newer, and 12 nm, it might require a BIOS update...which can't be done if the mainboard is stuck with the old BIOS without a compatible CPU to do it with...assuming a BIOS update adding 1600AF compatibility is even available from BIOSTAR (if no BIOS updates within last 45-60 days, probably not)

I don't think many B450 boards are in the $100 range...; most I priced seemed to start at $130...

Solution

MiniatureGaming

Commendable
Mar 8, 2020

well what motherboard do you think is best for its price