[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600 "AF" Wraith Stealth LOUD -- What gives??

TempTop

Prominent
Mar 9, 2020
So, built a new PC a couple of days ago using a Ryzen 5 1600 "AF", the included cooler (obviously), a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M, and a Cooler Master MasterBox NR400. But the cooler is unusually loud, making grinding and whirring noises when it increases/decreases in speed. I think the fan curve is off because it constantly keeps revving up and down occasionally even if I'm doing light web-browsing. (The cooler cable is layered and cable-tied in a nice bow sitting atop the CPU -- not making contact with the fan.) I tightened all of the CPU screws in a cross-pattern until the screws were tightened down firmly. When I say this thing is loud, I mean it's loud; the PC I had before this was an AM3 and the big & stocky included AMD cooler was solid, and rarely noted attention even when maxed out.

When the CPU fan revs up it's loud and sounds like it's rattling a little bit, making shaky quick vibration noises when idling up, and whirring when it comes down; did I get sold a fan with a bad bearing? What's going on? :chaudar:

Solution
SOLUTION: I was using a previously used Corsair CX 550 and that was causing the issue. A week later I changed the PSU out and it hasn't made any of the excessive noises since. Then another week later I installed some PSU extensions and it still hasn't made any of the same noises.

LESSON LEARNED: If your new PC is ramping up and down constantly, or the brand-new fan is making excessive noise -- and you have an old power supply plugged in: It's likely the power supply.

TempTop

Prominent
Mar 9, 2020
SOLUTION: I was using a previously used Corsair CX 550 and that was causing the issue. A week later I changed the PSU out and it hasn't made any of the excessive noises since. Then another week later I installed some PSU extensions and it still hasn't made any of the same noises.

LESSON LEARNED: If your new PC is ramping up and down constantly, or the brand-new fan is making excessive noise -- and you have an old power supply plugged in: It's likely the power supply.

Solution