Ryzen 5 1600 at 3.8Ghz

3n3rg3ia

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Hello community, im here for some suggestion or advices regarding my cpu and the overclock that i have done.

My PC specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Mobo: Asus Strix Rog B350-F Gaming
DDR4: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4gb 2400mhz 15-15-15-35
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600watt Plus 80+
Case: Therlmatake Overseer 6 total fans
VGA: MSI gtx 1060 6gb gaming x
HDD: Sata 600gb

So 2 days ago i builded the above hardware, i sold my old FX-8350 System and added an amount of money to buy the new ones. it was a good call cuz it costed me not a lot by selling my old ones.

after getting my new pc to work, i decided to give it a try to overclock it with its stock cooler.
my room temps are 28-32celsius ( its summer in Greece ) so i went into the BIOS and noticed that there is no option for manual voltage, there is only Auto and Offset.

By default settings and clean format to Win 10 cpu-z showed that my ryzen 5 1600 runs at 3.6ghz max with the voltage hitting 1.450v + and - depending its state and load.

i was curious cuz many if not all ryzen users have report that they go 3.8ghz with stock cooler with very easy and trouble free way so i wanted to see if it will be a gain for me as well.

Changing the offset to - minus to reduce the voltage draw from cpu and only touching the cpu ratio
to reach 3.82ghz and i had a very good start, i didnt touch anything else to all , everything was set to auto but voltage and cpu ratio.

Used Aida64 Stability test for about 1 hour while i had HWmonitor on to check temps voltages etc of the system during the test.

Max voltages recorded at 3.82ghz was 1.319v and max temps showed 67c. there was no fails on Aida64 for about 30mins or so, and ofc i assume it was pretty enough stable, especially when the games im playing never uses the cpu more than 40-50% ( world of warcraft - warframe - path of exile - Dota 2 - heroes of the storm - league of legends. ) after 3 hours today of non stop warframe my cpu temp was max 55c.

Overall its a great and very solid experience to overclock Ryzen cpu, i remember my fx-8350 was such a pain to set up and tweak all these LLC - Digi+ settings, was so hard to make that system stable i had such troubles making it stable cuz every LLC setting was counting and could do a trick to make it stable. but with ryzen you only really need to touch the cpu ratio and or voltages.

So im here to ask for advice and suggestion, do i really need or have to upgrade my stock cooler for an after market air or AIO water solution? does it really worthing to try out for 4ghz if i get to buy a better cooling? i know about my DDR4 being only 2400mhz that they must get upgraded to at least 3000mhz if not 3200mhz but the supported memories by my mobo is still very few and the ones that are working with 3200 speed are way over expensive in greece. so i had to settle for a little while with a good 2400mhz kit.

Bear in mind i plan to keep this pc for at least 3-4 years so i would like not to over voltage my cpu and stress it to much.

in 2 months i plan to throw another 250-300 euro to sort out some things on this build, an SSD 240gb and maybe 3200mhz ddr4 if it gets on my mobo to support many more memory kits at 3200 speed and a fairly good after market cooling solution.

What you suggest me?

If you're overclocking for fun, then go for whatever makes you happy. If you're doing it for the performance, well, how's it performing now? How much faster do you need/want it to be in your current tasks? If you bench it with and without the OC you can extrapolate how much another 200 MHz will help and if you feel it would be worth it. As far as heat goes, I'm pretty impressed with a max temp of 67 C, only ~40 over ambient with a stock cooler. What's the noise level like?

3n3rg3ia

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

960 pro cost in greece 300 euros while 960 eco is only 130 euros, does it really worthing those extra bucks for the evo???

3n3rg3ia

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
The noise is very acceptable and low, i just hear some air flow when not wearing my headset, but when i wear headset i hear nothing at all, these new coolers from amd i think they rated 21db max, pretty low. I noticed a small performance gain when opening programs and games but i dont know if setting the voltage to 1,4v on cpu just to get 200mhz will be a good option, amd suggests up to 1,35v for 24/7 use. So im scared to go any higher. But overall i saw huge improvement going from fx_8350 to ryzen 5 1600 no doubt. Everything runs faster with this build.

If it's running well and you're worried, you may as well run it at stock for peace of mind. You can always restore the OC as time inevitably catches up to it. And don't underestimate the impact of the SSD you're planning on. Nothing affects load times like upgrading to an SSD from a mechanical drive. Even if you still install games on the hard drive they load faster due to not competing with the OS for drive time.

3n3rg3ia

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
i do plan to buy an ssd, but i dont want to overpay for a good M.2, the standard ssd 240gb will not work well? Is m.2 such a big difference compared to sata ssd? im pretty unfamiliar with the ssd technologies.

And thanks deeply for your replies, makes me understand better.

Oh, I wasn't trying to criticize your SSD choice. You said when you OC'd your 1600 you saw slightly faster loading times. That why I wanted to emphasize that upgrading to an SSD, any SSD, will make loading dramatically faster for the OS and anything else installed on it.

It is true that Sata is technically much slower than PCIe based M.2. But it's not something you would notice as much when you're comparing one SSD to another SSD. Comparing either of those to a hard drive on the other hand would be very noticeable. Here's a test using your motherboard with 2 different SSD's, one PCIe, one Sata:

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/asus-rog-strix-b350-f-gaming-review/7/

It looks incredibly impressive, Read/Write 3337/1799 MB/s vs 562/530. 6 times faster Read, 3.5 times faster write. But how often are you doing 500 MB+ file transfers? On the other hand look at the numbers for a typical 7200 rpm drive like a 1 TB WD Blue.

http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_caviar_blue_1tb_review_wd10ealx

131/130 MB/s for sequential, all the way down to .29/.48 (yes, point-two-nine) for random 4k, the most common. In those types of transfers, SSD's are easily 50-100 times faster than mechanical drives, but still nowhere near saturating 6 GB Sata.

http://www.thessdreview.com/featured/ssd-throughput-latency-iopsexplained/

Code:
TL:DR

Any SSD is going to be faster than any hard drive. PCIe M.2 is faster than Sata, but not as nowhere as the difference between a Sata SSD and a hard drive. If you can find a good price on a PCIe M.2 it's probably worth paying a little extra for it, but don't break the bank or skimp on other components to do it.

Stick with your 3.8ghz with those ambient temps mate.

That's a great result at fairly low voltage , 3.9/4ghz takes most people over 1.4v & a good +10c temp increase.
Not really worth the minimal performance increase youll get.

Ram speed only pushes fps in the upper 90s-100 range.
If you're not running a 100htz+ screen there really isn't a massive benefit when you already have 2400mhz ram.

3n3rg3ia

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks for that, i found m.2 960 evo 240gb for 130euros when an ssd 240gb goes for around 80-100euros, i dont plan to make big files transfering, im only gaming and browsing in general. I would like to invest in a good after market cooler to have my oced ryzen more comfortable since i love its performance. I will have 100euros left over to buy also something else. Or just call it a day with the ssd and the cooler??

3n3rg3ia

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Yeah my screen is a full hd screen with 60hz max so anything above 60fps is not visible, i think an ssd is a must have for my system right now, and a cooler to provide my ryzen a better and safer temp area to sit lol.

3n3rg3ia

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
One question plz, the excact cpu temp on hwmonitor is under the cpu temp, or the package temp? I get 4 tempretures in the cpu section, 3 temps that are named tempin0/tempin1/tempin2 and under the cpu cores frequency one more value called package, the tempin0 showed 67c max after 1 hour on aida64 stability stress test the tempin1 was 40c the tempin2 was 55c and the package was 74c. Any clue as of what that package value is???

Try downloading HWinfo64. It will report the tdie (actual sensor reading) temp as well as the tctl. On some models of Ryzen, AMD put in a 20 degree offset, meaning it will report tctl temps 20 degrees C higher than the actual reading. AMD says they did this, "so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen™ processors have a consistent fan policy."

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update

3n3rg3ia

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Awesome information man!!!!! That package temp was actually worrying me a lot. Not like 74c is huge amount of celsius, but i was curious cuz the voltage that my ryzen was pulling wasnt that much to create all these 74c. Will try tomorrow morning that hwinfo cuz its 1 after midnight and im just stalking the internet from my phone. Thanks a lot again for this precious info. Will update the temps tomorrow with hwinfo.

That last 100-150 MHz is not a night and day difference in performance, but will ramp up core voltage and heat in a quick, non-linear fashion....

Enjoy your temps as is....IMO. (Be glad your system is stable, many here with new builds can't even POST...)

You can always change your mind in a year...

3n3rg3ia

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Good morning, so i downloaded HWinfo64 beta version the latest and here are the temps im getting after 10mins of Aida64 extreme stability test. ( 10mins are enough for a stress test cuz there is no way with casual gaming and internet browsing that i will get such cpu usage or similar temps )

on hwinfo64 in cpu section: CPU (Tctl/Tdie 75c maximum) and there is one more cpu temp under motherboards section: CPU 67c maximum and the motherboards temp shows 36c max.

do i have to worry about that Tctl/Tdie? 75c is the max that AMD has report, is these 75c the actual cpu core temp? if so i really need an after market cooler, but the voltages reported by hwinfo64 are 1.3v max on CPU Core voltage.

If the values for Tctl and Tdie are the same, then that should be the actual temperature the sensor is reporting, and the 1600 doesn't have an offset. That may be something only the X models need. If they report a different number than each other, that number is your offset. You can tell since it would always be exactly the same.

If you do have an actual temp of 75 C, then yeah. Either a stronger cooler or dial back the OC. But keep in mind, you're testing the worst case scenario here. Aida64 extreme and ~30 C ambient temps is about as rough as it gets.

3n3rg3ia

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I will try to lower the overclock back to 3.6ghz and will lower the voltage too, very wierd cuz on default bios settings the voltage draw from cpu was 1.4v and now at 1.32v max and having so high temps is bad after all. in any case i dont want something bad to happen on my ryzen, :-((.

3n3rg3ia

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
So i found some answers on AMD forums with people reporting that max temps for ryzen are 95c. Everyone if not all were saying that the cpu at max load/stress tests for long period the cpu will reach easily 80-90c. Still its a safe spot, ofc non likes to run that high temps so they go either liquid cooling or good after market air, by getting myself 75c after 30mins to 1 hour of full stress test i believe now that im completely safe and should be more than happy for having that, when majority of ryzen users on amd forums report 80-90c on stress tests....... im still after to get that SSD and a good cooling solution, even though i dont need better cooling, but if i can drop my temps at 60-65c, it means my ryzen will be in a paradise like environment. :-D.

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I know this is an old thread. But Hello from Canada!

With a couple bios updates my system ran better. The bios released in December did a big deal for me.

My Room Temperature is 20 to 21 C. I am using a HyperEvo 212 Turbo air cooler.
My Max Temp at 3.9 GHZ was 66 C .

Its winter now and at 3.825 Ghz so the room temp is 18 - 20 my max temp is 55 C
Going that extra 100 mhz causes lots of heat. A huge 10 degree jump at-least...it needs more voltages.

At this speed 3.825 my max voltage is 1.27 (i left it auto). I have both load line calibrations at extreme (yes we still have LLC depends on your motherboard! mine is gigabyte ax370 k7)

I don't think the Ryzen 5 1600 needs a AIO water cooler as long as you have a decent case for air.
The Thermatake overseer looks like it has the similar cooling as mine.
Front in, Out the top and rear. Nice grill on side. Its a good set up for air cooling. Similar to Haf 912 my case.

sickaid

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
Did you gain anything from the OC besides higher benchmark numbers?Your cpu draw 1.4v because the "core perfomance boost" in bios is enabled by default.Few people know that and they get insane temps.Disable it.No need to use such voltage on stock settings.