[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600 - B450 Mortar Max - Is 32GB of 3000 Mhz (16 x 2) RAM too much?

Rutwick

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
I know this is probably a noob question because I am building my first rig (by first I mean by myself). I have a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU, just got a Mortar Max B450M board. I have ordered a 16x2 Crucial Ballistix 3000 CL15 RAM kit. Is this an overkill? Do I really need so much of memory, and if I do put it, will it benefit/harm my build in anyway? I can still cancel the order and get 8x2 of the same, that will probably save me some money too.

Any advice is appreciated.

Solution
Cancel the order and get a kit of Gskill 3200 CL 14 or CL16 2x16GB. Capacity isn't overkill but Ryzen 1st/2nd gen memory multiplyer doesn't officially support 3000 and CL15. If they run at rated speeds, it'll be at 2933 with CL 16. Just go for Gskill 3200 which Ryzen supports. Gskill are the best.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cancel the order and get a kit of Gskill 3200 CL 14 or CL16 2x16GB. Capacity isn't overkill but Ryzen 1st/2nd gen memory multiplyer doesn't officially support 3000 and CL15. If they run at rated speeds, it'll be at 2933 with CL 16. Just go for Gskill 3200 which Ryzen supports. Gskill are the best.

Solution

Rutwick

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
@boju Hey, sorry, bothering you again!

So I cancelled the 3000 Mhz Sticks, and have been trying to get a Gskill 3200 pair of sticks in a single kit. But looks like the delivery times are tremendous, almost mid of November, for some reason. So I thought I should get a 16 gig pair to start off because I need to build and test the new computer ASAP, but it isn't available soon either. If I get 2 units of an 8 GB 3200 Mhz stick, will it work? I have not been able to get sufficient info on this, because when people talk about mixing RAMs, they are talking about two brands or freqs or timings. I just want to know if I take the same stick, but not in a kit, is that good?

Thanks man! Here is the one I am talking about.

https://www.amazon.in/G-SKILL-F4-32...=gskill+,computers,417&sr=1-5#customerReviews

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't want to give you hope mixing will work and turns out it doesn't. Ryzen motherboard's can be quite memory sensitive and even if same brand/model, if they were manufactured at different times using differing materials making chips, it can cause issues. Kits are bundled there and then when made to minimise minute differences in the process.

Maybe 1 stick now, and buy another two in a kit might be an option?

Or see motherboard's memory QVL list and look for other brands of ram that might arrive to you quicker.

Zen CPU = Guaranteed 2667MHz. People will use the XMP profile up to 2933/3000MHz.
Zen+ CPU = Guaranteed 2933MHz. People use the XMP profile to get 3200MHz.
Zen 2 CPU = Guaranteed 3200MHz. People use the XMP profile to get 3600MHz.
Zen 3 CPU = Guaranteed 3200MHz. People have been saying up to 4000MHz using the XMP profile. CPU Isn't out yet.

You should buy a 2x16GB 3000MHz RAM Kit.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $114.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-21 20:40 EDT-0400

I'm not so sure about LPX from Corsair, it's a model from them i feel best avoid for Ryzen. 3000/2933 might be ok with them, i couldn't recommend them if situations are dire.

You sure? Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM are like the most compatible and sold RAM. I totally recommend these for any build whatsoever.

That RAM brand and model was sold like 80,000 times on Amazon with a rating of 85% average. last 2 Ryzen 2600 I built I used these and had no problems XMP them at 3200MHz on a 3200MHz LPX RAM Kit.

I might be wrong but I'm sure I see these being recommended everywhere.

Rutwick

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
@Nemesia Well, here's what I did. I went ahead and got two 8 gig LPX 3200 kits, because the very first review on Amazon was by someone who benchmarked Vengeance LPX with Ryzen 1600 and a B350 board, almost the same as my set up, both standard and OC. He posted the temps as well as FPS. And the results were impressive. It cost me a few dollars more, but that's alright, at least it had a whole lot of reviews whereas Gskill had none. Then I did some digging around for people who have used LPX 3200 on a Mortar board, and I found favorable reviews for that too.

I set up my rig, and checked in the bio, both RAMs worked well, and showed me 2 profiles, 2933 and 3200. I set the 3200, everything is still working. Now I need to check if they are working in dual channel. That I think I can only do after I install Windows.

Moral - Right now I cant set the freq to 3200 Mhz for Vengeance LPX from the bios.

Rutwick

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
UPDATE after 2 months of usage
It works, and it works perfectly fine! Despite all the reading around and warnings, I took the risk and bought 2 HyperX sticks of 8 gigs each with the same speed/rating, because I could not find the sticks mentioned in the above discussion despite searching hard. Set the OC mode from MSI's bios to 3200 MHz, and it works flawlessly in dual channel, at 3200 MHz.

So if anyone stumbles on this post, you can look at the CL numbers, frequency and order 2 sticks at the same time given that these numbers match exactly.