Ryzen 5 1600 CPU will not post on Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 Rev 1

Aug 15, 2018
Hello,
Well my last 3 builds were Intel i5 and i7 and i thought i would try and AMD build. Not going so well.

I just put together a build:
Rosewill Challenger 5 Case
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 Rev1 Mother Board
Corsair RM 650x Power supply
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2666
Samsung 850 SSD
MSI 1050TI 4gb GPU

My build will not post the CPU. The CPU LED power indicator stays illuminated. I have tried: --------- Different working RAM from another build in the house.
- I have tried different power supply connections from the RM650
- Pulled off and reseated CPU twice.
- Pulled off and reconnected all PS connectors.
- Removed battery to reset CMOS.
- Removed GPU to boot without it.
- All standoffs are correct and MB is not touching the case anywhere.
- Left on for 10+ minutes.

I called Gigabyte and they said the boot order is CPU, RAM, GPU. If the CPU does not post will not move to the next boot cycle. As noted I am getting the CPU problem indicator immediately.

I am in need of help. I could RMA the CPU or MB. I am just not sure what the problem is. Should I try updating the BIOS on the board? What else could it be. I have a hard time believing the CPU is DOA.

Solution
If you bought it recently from Newegg, I'd have to assume it has a late BIOS. Probably not the issue. But it would be nice to confirm. Have you tried breadboarding the system outside the case?
Install just CPU/cooler, stick of RAM (in first slot if so specified), PSU, and gfx card (be sure to feed the 6-pin header if it has one) to monitor. Start the system by momentarily shorting the two pins that the power button would connect to.

If no display, I would have to assume a bad board or card. You'd have to find another gfx card to try to eliminate that.
Aug 15, 2018
All brand new from Newegg today. The gigabyte tech support insists the bios is correct but I sure to wonder. The last individual i spoke with from Gigabyte said the original firmware for this board should support the Ryzen 5 1600. But that is not exactly what I read.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you bought it recently from Newegg, I'd have to assume it has a late BIOS. Probably not the issue. But it would be nice to confirm. Have you tried breadboarding the system outside the case?
Install just CPU/cooler, stick of RAM (in first slot if so specified), PSU, and gfx card (be sure to feed the 6-pin header if it has one) to monitor. Start the system by momentarily shorting the two pins that the power button would connect to.

If no display, I would have to assume a bad board or card. You'd have to find another gfx card to try to eliminate that.

Solution
Aug 15, 2018
You nailed it. I ordered a new MB and it came today. Threw it in and it all worked great. It could be an old BIOS or just a bad MB. I will ship back the defective one. Thank again.