Ryzen 5 1600 Gtx 1070 bottleneck?

Aug 12, 2018
I've seen people say a ryzen 1600 can bottleneck a gtx 1070 but when I see videos of people testing the CPU and GPU the CPU stays at 20% on some games and for other games like fallout 4 goes to 30% so is what they say a lie?

Solution
CPU usage represents how much of the CPU is being used by a program. So if you are using 20%, it is only using 1/5 of the potential of the CPU. This could mean its not utilizing all of the cores. The problem with a lot of CPUs over 4 Cores for gaming, is that many cores can be left unused, wasting potential. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it really just depends on the processor. I would say the Ryzen 1600 WOULD bottleneck to some degree, as it's a low power processor not really oriented for gaming. But it shouldn't be noticeable to the extent that you can't pair it with the 1070.

And as stated above: the term bottleneck is misused a lot. I would say that the CPU won't bottleneck the GPU, but the processor might not perform very...
Bottleneck is a misused term. Total cpu usage is meaningless, you have to look at each cpu core, a bottleneck can occur with just 1 cpu core running close to 100% but while total cpu useage is much lower.

If aiming for high FPS Intel cpu’s do give better numbers but that is not saying Ryzen is bad. This is because games can often take advantage of faster (higher IPC) cores which Intel has. It also depends on other factors such as resolution, the specific game, game settings and having a gpu powerful enough to take advantage of Intels faster cores.

CPU usage represents how much of the CPU is being used by a program. So if you are using 20%, it is only using 1/5 of the potential of the CPU. This could mean its not utilizing all of the cores. The problem with a lot of CPUs over 4 Cores for gaming, is that many cores can be left unused, wasting potential. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it really just depends on the processor. I would say the Ryzen 1600 WOULD bottleneck to some degree, as it's a low power processor not really oriented for gaming. But it shouldn't be noticeable to the extent that you can't pair it with the 1070.

And as stated above: the term bottleneck is misused a lot. I would say that the CPU won't bottleneck the GPU, but the processor might not perform very well in some games.

Solution