Ryzen 5 1600, msi b350 tomahawk, and a rx 580 gigabyte

Oct 11, 2018
Just build a new pc for the first time, and it does not boot up the fans and lights turn on on the pc and mobo but the cpu wont turn on lights or fans, im worried that i broke the cpu or the mobo because as i wad putting it together i had a hard time putting the cpu cooler into the mobo as the backplate was loose and it did not reach easy for the screws, and when i did put it together i might of tighten it too much and heard a cracking noise and im not sure of taking everything apart as i dont have more thermal paste to put on it and is hard to get any as i live in a small town and the only way is to buy it online and wait over a week, sorry for the trouble as i tried looking for a solution but dont know what it could be or where to look first

Solution

1st thing to check is that you didn't use too many standoffs. One could be shorting the back of the board.
2nd thing to check is the FP wiring you did. Easy to put the tiny wires on the wrong pins.
3rd thing is to check that one of the IO shield tabs (if it has them) wasn't sticking into one of the back ports on the board.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Take the whole board w/ CPU and cooler out of the case and test it sitting on an insulated surface. Connect just the KB, gfx card, monitor, and PSU. Start it by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case's power button would connect to. See if it produces a display. be sure to power the gfx card if required.
List your system specs.

What he says above is right, but come on. How can people over tighten screws? If this is your first pc, you should have watched and read many articles about putting them together.
You can tighten a screw and feel the tightness and you know when it stops, it doesn't need to be wrenched, these are SMALL screws and holes.

Oct 11, 2018

Oct 11, 2018

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

1st thing to check is that you didn't use too many standoffs. One could be shorting the back of the board.
2nd thing to check is the FP wiring you did. Easy to put the tiny wires on the wrong pins.
3rd thing is to check that one of the IO shield tabs (if it has them) wasn't sticking into one of the back ports on the board.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks. I see most of that in your title now. Just wasn't paying attention. The 500W EVGA is which one? Might be too small for the RX-580.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from alancarbajal : "ryzen 5 1600 and a tomahawk b350 mobo cpu ez debug led light"

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Good. Glad to hear. Also, be sure the 'drive LED' and 'power LED' wires are correct polarity on the FP header. If reversed, they won't light. I've even had a couple case that had the wires marked wrong.

TRENDING THREADS