Question Ryzen 5 1600 or 3400G

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
I'm going to build a PC for my friend who'll use the setup for productivity (Photoshop, Coral, Aftereffects, etc.) in a budget under $600 only.

I'm stuck on which CPU to have here. He's not going to game on it, and I initially suggested him R5 3400G so he can save money on discrete GPU, or R5 1600 for more cores. But he wants to be future-proof for as long as it can be, and be powerful enough to work on the said software with minimal lags. Please suggest a good CPU (both Intel and AMD wise) which will be the best in this budget?
(I think a 4GB 1050Ti would be more than enough for his work and can be crammed in the system if a non APU processor is used.)

Rest of config:
ASRock A320M-HDV
Corsair 16GB RAM
WD 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Corsair CX450M

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Where are you located?
Micro Center (had) the 1600 for $80. Superb Buy. When using with a discrete GPU the RAM speed wouldn't matter much, so could likely get by on whatever DDR4 you could find inexpensive to go with, along with a B350/450 board. I think even with a decent SSD, PSU, and case that you could pull a 1660ti out of a budget like that and have a screaming little rig.

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
Where are you located?
Micro Center (had) the 1600 for $80. Superb Buy. When using with a discrete GPU the RAM speed wouldn't matter much, so could likely get by on whatever DDR4 you could find inexpensive to go with, along with a B350/450 board. I think even with a decent SSD, PSU, and case that you could pull a 1660ti out of a budget like that and have a screaming little rig.
I'm in India, no Micro Center here :'( You're saying I can go with a lower speed RAM with a discrete GPU; I have an inexpensive 2400MHz RAM stick in my mind, maybe that'll cover some GPU expense there. So is R5 1600 worth buying? It is still inexpensive here (some 150-ish dollars) whereas 2600 is $210. 3400G is $188

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm in India, no Micro Center here :'( You're saying I can go with a lower speed RAM with a discrete GPU; I have an inexpensive 2400MHz RAM stick in my mind, maybe that'll cover some GPU expense there. So is R5 1600 worth buying? It is still inexpensive here (some 150-ish dollars) whereas 2600 is $210. 3400G is $188

The biggest notable difference you will see from a seat of your pants difference is a frame rate reduction (particularly with an APU) when using slower RAM on Ryzen. According to the frame rate this individual is looking for it probably won't matter much if at 1080/60. I would highly suggest getting two sticks such that dual channel is operational.
There are loads of videos regarding the subject on YouTube.

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
The biggest notable difference you will see from a seat of your pants difference is a frame rate reduction (particularly with an APU) when using slower RAM on Ryzen. According to the frame rate this individual is looking for it probably won't matter much if at 1080/60. I would highly suggest getting two sticks such that dual channel is operational.
There are loads of videos regarding the subject on YouTube.
So which CPU do you think will be good? 1600, 3400G, or something else?

1650 is also over the budget GPU for this.
If buying new, 1650 pricing should be pretty similar to 1050 Ti pricing, while offering more graphics performance. Judging by PCPartpicker's India listings, it looks like that should be the case there as well, though they appear to only list prices at Amazon currently, and I don't know how pricing might differ at other retailers...

https://in.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=443

Even with a dedicated graphics card, I wouldn't cheap out too much on RAM for Ryzen. Something like a 2x8GB kit of DDR4-3000 or 3200 is probably a good idea if it doesn't cost too much more.

Are they coming from an existing system, and if so, do you happen to know the specs of it?

adnan_16a2

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
If buying new, 1650 pricing should be pretty similar to 1050 Ti pricing, while offering more graphics performance. Judging by PCPartpicker's India listings, it looks like that should be the case there as well, though they appear to only list prices at Amazon currently, and I don't know how pricing might differ at other retailers...

https://in.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=443

Even with a dedicated graphics card, I wouldn't cheap out too much on RAM for Ryzen. Something like a 2x8GB kit of DDR4-3000 or 3200 is probably a good idea if it doesn't cost too much more.

Are they coming from an existing system, and if so, do you happen to know the specs of it?
It'll be a new system from the scratch. The only thing from old system will be the cabinet.