Question ryzen 5 1600 or i5 9400f?

Oct 27, 2017
So i am planning on buying either of these 2 cpus and i know intel is better for gaming but ryzen is better overall i dont plan to do any editing or have any big work load which will make use of the ryzen's 12 threads I mostly plan on gaming so i am not sure which one to buy and i know someone will probably say get the 2600 as it will do better in games but the thing is where i am from the 2600 weirdly enough costs like 50-60 dollars more for some reason so that is not an option. I will be buying a b450 motherboard if i go with ryzen so will overlclocking the ryzen actually make the performance some what close to the 2600 at stock speeds? Also i will be buying 3000mhz ram which helps ryzen quite a bit so will an overclocked 1600 with 3000mhz ram come close to the i5 in terms of gaming performance?

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
Overall, if you are going to game 99% of the time, the Ryzen is not worth it (actually I find the Ryzen 1600 a pretty bad deal at the moment since the 2600 is just a little bit more expensive in the other places of the world). The i5 9400f will boost your framerate significantly while the 1600 will give you less frames but a big headroom. While the i5 will stay up to 95% usage in some games, the 1600 will probably go up to 70%. The main concern about intel's high usage is multi tasking. I am moving to Ryzen because the i5 betrayed me. The story is, I was playing AC Unity and the framerate was about 100 at high graphics settings, the problem was that I couldn't even use discord, I was stuttering, my friends were stuttering because my i5 couldn't handle it.

Long story short: Go for the i5 if only for gaming as it'll boost your framerate, but if you are also willing to do multiple tasks at some point go for the 1600 as it'll give you enough headroom for your needs.

Oct 27, 2017
Overall, if you are going to game 99% of the time, the Ryzen is not worth it (actually I find the Ryzen 1600 a pretty bad deal at the moment since the 2600 is just a little bit more expensive in the other places of the world). The i5 9400f will boost your framerate significantly while the 1600 will give you less frames but a big headroom. While the i5 will stay up to 95% usage in some games, the 1600 will probably go up to 70%. The main concern about intel's high usage is multi tasking. I am moving to Ryzen because the i5 betrayed me. The story is, I was playing AC Unity and the framerate was about 100 at high graphics settings, the problem was that I couldn't even use discord, I was stuttering, my friends were stuttering because my i5 couldn't handle it.

Long story short: Go for the i5 if only for gaming as it'll boost your framerate, but if you are also willing to do multiple tasks at some point go for the 1600 as it'll give you enough headroom for your needs.
I do plan on having discord open and maybe a chrome tab open once in a while(for maybe faceit or esea and for map knowledge because i play counter strike quite a bit) but you are saying the i5 had problems multitasking?

Oct 27, 2017
I'd choose Ryzen since their motherboard is probably going to have a longer support. Overall it depends on which game you play because a lot are more gpu intensive.
I play csgo the most and other games like pubg,apex etc. I have a 75 hz monitor but frame drops from 250-200 will be quite noticeable even on that monitor i am not looking for a constant 300 fps which is where the game is capped at by default but i need a very stable 200-250 fps at least so if the ryzen doesnt have any frame time issues it should be fine.So can the ryzen do that?

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
I do plan on having discord open and maybe a chrome tab open once in a while(for maybe faceit or esea and for map knowledge because i play counter strike quite a bit) but you are saying the i5 had problems multitasking?
The 7600 has multitasking problems indeed. It is going to struggle in CPU bound games for sure. Forza Horizon 4 is also a game that made discord stutter. The gaming experience wasn't affected by any means, only the background apps had to suffer.