[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600 or Ryzen 5 2600

Mar 19, 2020
In my country the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 is 20 euros cheaper (106eu) than the Ryzen 5 2600 (126eu). I heard there is not much of a performance difference
I will have quite a budget build. Which one should I pick?

Solution
I would say it was according to what motherboard you are looking at for this build, and what your future upgrade and usage path look like.

That R5 1600 is no slouch. If you don't plan on overclocking, good with A320 or B350 board for OC. No BIOS Issues. First gen CPU and chipset tend to be finicky about RAM. Pick something off the QVL if possible.

The R5 2600 is a bit faster. Would be perfect for a B450 motherboard. If you go with the 2xxx CPU with any of the 3xx motherboards you could have issue with boot related to BIOS. Much more RAM flexible on 2xxx and 4xx.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would say it was according to what motherboard you are looking at for this build, and what your future upgrade and usage path look like.

That R5 1600 is no slouch. If you don't plan on overclocking, good with A320 or B350 board for OC. No BIOS Issues. First gen CPU and chipset tend to be finicky about RAM. Pick something off the QVL if possible.

The R5 2600 is a bit faster. Would be perfect for a B450 motherboard. If you go with the 2xxx CPU with any of the 3xx motherboards you could have issue with boot related to BIOS. Much more RAM flexible on 2xxx and 4xx.

Solution
Mar 19, 2020

I see. What would you think of this build?

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF

motherboard:
MSI A320M-A PRO

gpu:
Radeon RX 560

Case:
Aerocool CS-100 Midi Tower

RAM:
HyperX 2x4 GB DDR4-3200

PSU:
Cooler Master MWE Gold 550

And does it have decent upgrade possibilities?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I see. What would you think of this build?

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF

motherboard:
MSI A320M-A PRO

gpu:
Radeon RX 560

Case:
Aerocool CS-100 Midi Tower

RAM:
HyperX 2x4 GB DDR4-3200

PSU:
Cooler Master MWE Gold 550

And does it have decent upgrade possibilities?

Someone else would have to correct me, as I am not sure but that 1600 AF might be seen by the motherboard as 2nd gen, perhaps require a BIOS update to work? I am not positive....

But that gets me to my second point. The A320 will be your limiting factor in this build both now and into the future. It will not allow overclock, which may or may not matter. If you pick that CPU I would look for budget B450 if you can afford it.
Where Ryzen has amazing upgrade paths available, I would also see that mobo be a limiting factor in regard to some of the really high end CPU in the AM4 line. (a cheap B450 likely would as well)

I've tested the 1600 AF's on a few boards now with a handful of BIOSes. They will work on A320, B350, and X370 boards that are already updated to Pinnacle Ridge BIOS. They work out of the box on ANY B450 or X470 board. They also work out of the box on X570 boards, but why would anyone pair that I'm not sure. I would get a B450 or X470 depending on your needs (PCIE slots, lanes, sound, ect). Most A320 boards have the right BIOS by now, but not all of them because you could always unfortunately find old stock.