Ryzen 5 1600 stuck at 3.4 GHz and somewhat high temps

miguelv2

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
My new ryzen 5 1600 is stuck at 3.4 Ghz on idle and under load and the temps hover at sometimes 45 or 50 at idle while sometimes it hovers over 52-54 at full load.

Could it be the ryzen balanced power plan?

System Specs:
CPU : R5 1600 with stock cooler
GPU : GTX 750 Ti (yea i know im upgrading it)
RAM : Ballistix sport lt 8GB
HDD : WD Blue 500GB
MOBO : MSI B350M GAMING PRO
PSU : EVGA 430W Power Supply

Solution
What temperature is being reported in Ryzen Master? If you try running cinebench R15 on single core whilst simultaneously having CPU-Z open - you should be able to monitor the CPU speed (and see if it boosts as it is utilising only a single core) also check cinebench on multicore to see what the CPU speed ceiling is on all cores, I would say make sure that Cool n' Quiet is set to ON in the BIOS as that varies the CPU speed according to the needs of the workload, I would also say reset the BIOS in order to set the CPU back to a default state.

SkinnedAlive

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
For the clock speed - have you tried overclocking the CPU or......? As for the temperatures I would recommend downloading Ryzen Master as it reports the true temperature of the CPU (Hardware monitor reports the temperature with a known 20 degree higher offset).

miguelv2

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
I do have ryzen master installed but clockspeeds changed according to workload but after i changed the power plan in windows to ryzen balanced powerplan it got stuck there... i tried to set it back to defaultand everything else, still doesnt go down or up...

SkinnedAlive

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
What temperature is being reported in Ryzen Master? If you try running cinebench R15 on single core whilst simultaneously having CPU-Z open - you should be able to monitor the CPU speed (and see if it boosts as it is utilising only a single core) also check cinebench on multicore to see what the CPU speed ceiling is on all cores, I would say make sure that Cool n' Quiet is set to ON in the BIOS as that varies the CPU speed according to the needs of the workload, I would also say reset the BIOS in order to set the CPU back to a default state.

Solution

miguelv2

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

I've based :"my full load" on GTA 5 bench test but i could try cinebench. I also tried resetting the bios which didnt affect it... but i noticed that the windows default balanced did dynamically change the cpu frequency after rebooting. anyways... i seem to fix the high temps... (i get 35C with some chrome tabs open and 50C on full load)

SkinnedAlive

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Those temperatures - 35 idle 50 load sound far more realistic - also I'm not sure because it is motherboard dependant but I was using an MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon and removing the battery on the motherboard does not neccessarily reset the BIOS in order to reset the BIOS on that motherboard I had to short two pins on the motherboard whilst the power was on - because your motherboard is an MSI i'm guessing it might be the same - just in case you removed the battery and thought that reset the BIOS - the above is another possibility.

Heimer_D

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017

Im running a 1700 with a X62 Kraken (push+pull) and high performance windows settings. Idle I'm around 30C stable and full load at 59C stable @ 3.85 GHz OC on all Cores with Cpu-z Bench over 45 Minutes.
Try using Aida64 for accurate measurements. They already adjusted to the 20C offset from AMD.
My Gfx Card keeps also stable at 58C (970GTX)

miguelv2

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

If i recall correctly... Non-x cpus dont have a 20C Offset. but those temps seem really good

Mythras808

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
It's 100% the ryzen balanced plan, I just noticed this. On ryzen balanced plan my CPU maintains its 3.7ghz overclock 24/7 (cool n quiet is enabled in bios.) It's due to the processor power management setting in the power plan, it has the minimum processor power state at 90%, whereas the windows standard balanced has it at 5%. With the minimum at 90% the CPU will not really downclock when idling, and this results in higher idle temps. By reducing it back to 5% on the ryzen balanced plan your CPU will downlock itself when the speed is not required for a workload, this also results in lower temps.

TRENDING THREADS