[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600 stuck at 3400Mhz

VSI2110

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
Hi,

i noticed something weird on my pc. I usually keep msi afterburner on when i play games mainly to check on temps etc. when i close a game, my cpu would go from 3400mhz to 1550mhz and back and forth. this time it's staying at 3400mhz. it's not affecting usage though, at idle it's at 0% or 1-2%/ Temps are also in check.

However it stays at 3400mhz. I checked with HW Monitor, and task manager, same thing.

I checked for usage in task mgr, nothing is using cpu. (Lighting service uses 2-3%, but i guess that's normal, because i ended that, and no change.)

Anyone has any idea why's that?

Thanks

Solution
UPDATE FROM AMD TECH SUPPORT:

''Yes, it is expected behavior when you choose the Ryzen Power plan, it will stay at the high frequency to achieve the maximum performance. If you are not rendering any high-performance tasks and using the system for the general use, then you can choose windows balanced plan. ''

That pretty much explains it.

Thanks a lot everyone.

VSI2110

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
OOOOOOKKKKAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY FOUND THE CULPRIT!!

GUESS WHO????? ----> AMD RYZEN BALANCED POWER PLAN!

WOULD SOMEONE EXPLAINED WHY THE RYZEN POWER PLAN DOES THAT??

Sorry for caps, got excited :p:p

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
OOOOOOKKKKAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY FOUND THE CULPRIT!!

GUESS WHO????? ----> AMD RYZEN BALANCED POWER PLAN!

WOULD SOMEONE EXPLAINED WHY THE RYZEN POWER PLAN DOES THAT??

Sorry for caps, got excited :p:p
What do you mean balanced Power plan.. I've been having a similar issue can you explain to me how you fixed it?

VSI2110

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
What do you mean balanced Power plan.. I've been having a similar issue can you explain to me how you fixed it?

If you go to power option, you’ll see the different power plan.

The updated Ryzen chipset comes with its own power plan. That keeps the cpu at 3400mhz, and occasionally boosts to 3700mhz. I assume that’s what it was designed to do. I got a higher cinebench15 score (1120 compared to 1106) on that plan. Also no effect on temperatures.

I contacted AMD for that, if i get a reply, I’ll post here.

VSI2110

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
UPDATE FROM AMD TECH SUPPORT:

''Yes, it is expected behavior when you choose the Ryzen Power plan, it will stay at the high frequency to achieve the maximum performance. If you are not rendering any high-performance tasks and using the system for the general use, then you can choose windows balanced plan. ''

That pretty much explains it.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Solution