Question ryzen 5 1600 terrible in gta 5 and other games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2019
so i've been trying to play gta 5 with my new rx 570 and ryzen 5 1600, but it's a terrible experience. I've seen some people saying the ryzen is actually pretty bad for gaming, specially for gta 5, but I dont get why the gpu usage runs so damn low. I've tried enabling and disabling SMT, tried setting power plan to high performance and amd ryzen balanced, tried overclocking the ram(12gb dual channel btw, i know that's important), but I still get terrible gpu usage in gta 5 and some other games too, but not as extraordinary. Here's a few small clips.

GTA online:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXKHXEu_xkU&feature=youtu.be

GTA single player:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8GcjdCMT08&feature=youtu.be

AC unity:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcWdH7nSdMk&feature=youtu.be

like i said, the bigger problem is with gta 5, but i've had simillar but smaller problems in other games, like far cry 4, ac syndicate, etc, which im too lazy to download and record right now. But also in ac unity, the gpu seems to never reach 100%. So, is there anything i can do to improve this or did I rly just make a terrible purchase?

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ultimately you don't necessarilly WANT a component to reach 100%. That means the game is drawing more than it can provide in a basic sense. It will only use what it needs to.

What resolution / refresh rate is your monitor?
Presumably you've installed all latest drivers?
Nothing wrong with the Ryzen for gaming. Intel is technically better, but not by miles when looking comparatively.

Presumably your RAM is from different packs too?
What are you disappointed by exactly?

Last edited:
Reactions: WildCard999
Aug 9, 2019
Ultimately you don't necessarilly WANT a components to reach 100%. That means the game is drawing more than it can provide in a basic sense. It will only use what it needs to.

What resolution / refresh rate is your monitor?
Presumably you've installed all latest drivers?
Nothing wrong with the Ryzen for gaming. Intel is technically better, but not by miles when looking comparatively.

Presumably your RAM is from different packs too?
What are you disappointed by exactly?
1080p, 60hz, vsync always disabled(You can see it in the video). Latest drivers installed. Latest bios. Latest windows 10 version. 12gb(8+4) both crucial ballistix 2400mhz. What do you mean "it will only use what it needs to"? The game is not even reaching 60fps and using only 50% of the gpu, that's clearly wrong. Even rocket league stays around 95~100%. I remember my previous rig(gtx 660, i5 3330), the gpu would never fall under 100% in any game

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I remember my previous rig(gtx 660, i5 3330), the gpu would never fall under 100% in any game
That's because it was a lower end GPU, it had to work harder to achieve what the game required.

Your resource will only be used for how much is needed. The easiest analogy is RAM.
If your application only needs to use 7GB of RAM and you have 16GB. It will just use the 7GB, the remaining 9GB will just sit idle or being used for other background tasks that need it, same goes with your components.

If you're running a 60Hz monitor then there won't be much difference anyway.
From what I saw, there was no stuttering, no lag, so from my perspective it wasn't an issue.
Have you disabled V sync in both game and in NVIDIA settings?
Also there are lots with this problem on GTA from what I've seen. Every game uses your hardware differently.

12gb(8+4) both crucial ballistix 2400mhz
Yes but they are mixed modules right? Both bought from different packs, oddly enough this can present issues because mixed modules can conflict.

Additionally latest windows is having some driver conflicts.
What GPU / CPU temps under load?

Aug 9, 2019
That's because it was a lower end GPU, it had to work harder to achieve what the game required.

Your resource will only be used for how much is needed. The easiest analogy is RAM.
If your application only needs to use 7GB of RAM and you have 16GB. It will just use the 7GB, the remaining 9GB will just sit idle or being used for other background tasks that need it, same goes with your components.

If you're running a 60Hz monitor then there won't be much difference anyway.
From what I saw, there was no stuttering, no lag, so from my perspective it wasn't an issue.
Have you disabled V sync in both game and in NVIDIA settings?
Also there are lots with this problem on GTA from what I've seen. Every game uses your hardware differently.

Yes but they are mixed modules right? Both bought from different packs, oddly enough this can present issues because mixed modules can conflict.

Additionally latest windows is having some driver conflicts.
What GPU / CPU temps under load?
gpu 70ºC, cpu 50ºC. Vsync is disabled both in game and in radeon settings, you can see it goes over 60fps some times. But can I just ask you why do you think it's ok for the game to run at 50fps with 50% gpu usage? Any other gpu-cpu setup would be running at 100fps 100% usage. That's absolutely not ok and not up to discussion. Meanwhile rocket league is running at 250fps with 100% usage. Did you even take a look at the videos I uploaded? I appreaciate your time, but please don't play dumb, you must know how desperating it is to have hardware problems and not have any useful tips

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
gpu 70ºC, cpu 50ºC. Vsync is disabled both in game and in radeon settings, you can see it goes over 60fps some times. But can I just ask you why do you think it's ok for the game to run at 50fps with 50% gpu usage? Any other gpu-cpu setup would be running at 100fps 100% usage. That's absolutely not ok and not up to discussion. Meanwhile rocket league is running at 250fps with 100% usage. Did you even take a look at the videos I uploaded? I appreaciate your time, but please don't play dumb, you must know how desperating it is to have hardware problems and not have any useful tips
Criticizing those who are trying to help you is a sure way to get less help. Please be courteous to others.

Thank you.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well I had actually watched every single one of your videos, and I also look after other peoples computers for a good chunk of my time, ones similar to yours, however I have to really understand what the problem is and also narrow down the possible causes.

Problem is if I go through 200 causes in one post, there's never a place to start and lots of points get missed, thus why I started with the basics.

Recording software can be incorrect and can report above 60 FPS even with VSync enabled. I was actually stating that actually a lot of GTA users are having problems with it, games are developed and updated to use your hardware in a certain way, in some systems it doesn't play nice. And I apologise if it seemed I was dismissive, I was not intending to be.

Remember we are helping hundreds of different problems on here, and many of the same problems with different causes and different users, so we have to cover all ground - However, I am a volunteer trying to help, and frankly if that help isn't welcome, with the greatest of respect I won't give it. I'm trying to help, that's all my friend.

Aug 9, 2019
Criticizing those who are trying to help you is a sure way to get less help. Please be courteous to others.

Thank you.
I'm sorry if i sounded rude, i said i appreciate his time, i just mean he was clearly being ignorant in order to look helpful without actually helping. It's an obvious and absolute fact that gpu's shouldn't be having 50% usage while the game is clearly at a low framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.