Ryzen 5 1600 underperforming

Crafteren

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Hey there.

I just upgraded from my fx 8320, to a ryzen 1600.

I installed it in my msi tomahawk arctic b350 motherboard with 16gbs of ram, but when i try and do any benchmarks i get super crappy scores. I even overclocked it to 3.9Ghz. I only get around 400 points i Cinerbench.

Any idea on what might trigger this? I even did a fresh install of windows.

Solution

I had a similar problem on an MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard - I assume it is something to do with the BIOS and it appears that the problem is occurring on other MSI motherboards such as yours. The only way I could get the CPU to run at a higher speed was to set the CPU values in the BIOS back to their default settings (Auto) for the CPU voltage and the CPU speed...

SkinnedAlive

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Whilst running Cinebench could you simultaneously have CPU-Z open and monitor the CPU speed - Is the speed hovering around 2200MHz? - if it is the CPU is not running at full speed and that is the source of your rubbish scores.

Crafteren

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

My CPU speed is actually only 1.55 mhz. This is according to CPU-Z and the ryzen master software. Do you know how to fix this?

SkinnedAlive

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

I had a similar problem on an MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard - I assume it is something to do with the BIOS and it appears that the problem is occurring on other MSI motherboards such as yours. The only way I could get the CPU to run at a higher speed was to set the CPU values in the BIOS back to their default settings (Auto) for the CPU voltage and the CPU speed, then the processor would run at its advertised speed during stress testing but it means you cannot overclock the CPU - if you do it will floor the CPU to a lower speed constantly. So I'd suggest that your two options are either to send the motherboard back to MSI and replace it even with another brand or wait in hope that enough people have the same problem, MSI recognizes it and releases a BIOS update to solve the problem.

Solution

jules_6

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
I have the same problem with all the the MSI bios other than the very first 5.00 bios.

With the 5.00 bios I can over clock to a stable 4.00ghz. However I can't get my 3200 ram to read over 1067mhz..

The BIOS is complete crap, So I've just settled for the first bios with a stable 4.0 OC until MSI fixes the later bios.

Crafteren

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

I figured it out. I reset CMOS, and then i left everything at factory settings. Then i used the Ryzen Master software to overclock, and it works well :)

SkinnedAlive

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Good to hear you managed to overclock it.

Curtisrx8

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

I have a Gigabyte x370 aorus gaming 5 on bios F6 and a ryzen 5 1600x cpu. I had the exact same problem with the cpu stuck at 2.2Ghz when trying to overclock. Your solution worked perfectly, thank you!

TRENDING THREADS