[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600AF Scores

Feb 19, 2022
Hello there,

MBO - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
CPU - Ryzen 5 1600AF
RAM - TeamGroup T-Force 3000Mhz CL16 16GB running at 3200(16-18-18-18-38)

Of course this is not a high end chip.....but i was thinking about the factors of why my 1600AF is quite a bit slower than the 2600 compared to what i've seen on the internet. My Cinebench R20 Multicore 2635pts compared to 2790pts score from TechSpot's 1600AF .
Mine chip ocasionally boosts to 3.7ghz on few cores every now and then,but mostly stays at 3425mhz during Cinebench R20. Is there something different or wrong? Here's a link to the original post https://www.techspot.com/review/1977-amd-ryzen-1600-af/

image upload

Solution
Hello there,

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600AF

Of course this is not a high end chip.....but i was thinking about the factors of why my 1600AF is quite a bit slower than the 2600 compared to what i've seen on the internet. My Cinebench R20 Multicore 2635pts compared to 2790pts score from TechSpot's 1600AF .
Mine chip ocasionally boosts to 3.7ghz on few cores every now and then,but mostly stays at 3425mhz during Cinebench R20. Is there something different or wrong? Here's a link to the original post https://www.techspot.com/review/1977-amd-ryzen-1600-af/

image upload...
Hello there,

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600AF

image upload

Are you running it in stock configuration?

It may use 2nd gen silicon but it's operating parameters are still going to make it run more similar to a 1st gen Ryzen 1600 when left sock. Where it starts to shine like a 2600 is when you overclock it either with a tuned PBO or all-core fixed clock/voltage. It should be able to run stable at higher clocks than a 1st gen could; maybe upwards of 4.2Ghz all-core vs. 3.7-3.9Ghz max for the 1st gen CPU.

You will need a good CPU cooler when pushing it to 4.2Ghz, much much better than the stock Wraith Stealth. A really good cooler will also help it to hit higher clocks while running CB20 even in stock configuration. That could be part of the difference in scores you're seeing.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 19, 2022
Are you running it in stock configuration?

It may use 2nd gen silicon but it's operating parameters are still going to make it run more similar to a 1st gen Ryzen 1600 when left sock. Where it starts to shine like a 2600 is when you overclock it either with a tuned PBO or all-core fixed clock/voltage. It should be able to run stable at higher clocks than a 1st gen could; maybe upwards of 4.2Ghz all-core vs. 3.7-3.9Ghz max for the 1st gen CPU.

You will need a good CPU cooler when pushing it to 4.2Ghz, much much better than the stock Wraith Stealth. A really good cooler will also help it to hit higher clocks while running CB20 even in stock configuration. That could be part of the difference in scores you're seeing.
Hello and thank you for your reply. I did a mild overclock yesterday and went up to a 3.8Ghz All Core,without PBO,altho i have PBO in bios,i've read that it does nothing because the CPU doesnt support it. I was inclined to go over 3.8Ghz,but i tried 1.35v for 3.9Ghz and crashed on Cinebench.Also i'm running a Wraith Prism(the beefier cooler from AMD) ,temps are ok,32c idle,56c gaming, 65 full load. Do you reckon i can go further with OC? considering 1.35v was not enough for 3.9Ghz? These are the only parameters i've changed,the voltage and the frequency(also XMP 3000 and manual change to 3200mhz on Ram).

... considering 1.35v was not enough for 3.9Ghz? ...
Definitely will need a bit more LLC but 1.35 probably isn't enough voltage. 1.38-1.4V is generally OK so long as you have much better cooling with temperatures kept in the mid to upper 60's. As with any overclocking effort, cooling is critical.

But don't go too heavy on LLC as that alone makes it unstable (roll-on/roll-off spikes). Ryzen CPU's also actually like Vdroop, they work with it. In lightly loaded conditions the voltage can safely be much higher (1.4-1.42V) because core temps are low (probably in the 50's or less). It's when all cores are working heavy (70's and up) you want voltage to drop down to around 1.32V and less. You need to use a good utility (HWinfo64) and watch VCore (SVI2/TFN) voltage to see the true core voltage behavior as the CPU goes from light load to max load conditions.

But what I'd look at doing first is a PBO overclock. Set CPU clock to AUTO, then enable PBO to manual. Set PPT, TDC and EDC all to max values (it doesn't matter much for 2nd gen). Then go to CPU Vcore and undervolt slightly, just one or two 'notches' at first useing OFFSET adjustment. The CPU should boost more eagerly in light bursty workloads. It will also hold a higher clock for heavy all-core work, that means it should improve Cinebench scores considerably. You can go back and lower the Vcore offset another notch until you find the limit.

PBO makes the CPU try to hit higher clocks but it's still going to limit what it can do based on it's core temperature. Lowering Vcore helps but it will run hotter as any overclock does. This too needs much better cooling than stock to work well or it will just throttle itself to keep safe. And that's the point: PBO leaves the CPU's algorithm in place to both boost when temperature is safe, and pull back clocks when temperatures aren't safe.

I'd be doing this with only XMP settings for memory or even in stock settings. If you pushed your memory to 3200 you may have some instability there that will need to be sorted separately from settling on a CPU overclock. Once the CPU's stable and you've tested it then overclock memory. First XMP, which should work well, then set to 3200 but that may be unstable so test it before saying all's good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unolocogringo