Ryzen 5 1600X / Gigabyte AB350 D3H build freezes randomly -- please help

CDP_8

Prominent
May 10, 2017
The build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X
Mobo: Gigabyte AB350M D3H (very similar to the popular Gaming 3)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 285 2GB DUAL-X (used)
PSU: Cougar 700W

Since the first boot the computer freezes after a random time of 20-40 minutes. This happens under both Linux and Windows, but in the latter case I sometimes get a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD instead. At fist I thought it might be the CPU temperature, since it was being reported at 55C in BIOS. But after research I found out that was intentional overreporting by AMD that had been accounted for in a latter BIOS revision, so I upgraded to the latest (F2). The upgrade fixed the temperature issue, now at around 25 while idle, but not the freezes.

I have also tried reseating the RAM and using either stick alone.

The RAM is not officially on the MoBo's QVL, but there seem to be other people that have used this combo without issues.

No idea what to do. Would appreciate any hints!

Thanks

Solution
Here is an example of where it did fix the problem. Seem to recall seeing notes about the platform being finicky about ram.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/766978-ryzen-clock_watchdog_timeout-bsod-windows-10/

CDP_8

Prominent
May 10, 2017
Yeah, my suspicion was also about the RAM being incompatible, which is that thread's conclusion. But then I saw other builds with the same RAM/CPU/mobo combo that work. Sadly the shop does not allow refunds on opened items -- so to test this theory I would have to buy a whole new set and resell the Corsairs as used.

CDP_8

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I sent the RAM sticks back to the shop where I bought them, and they confirmed one of them was faulty. The strange thing is, I had tested them individually, and they didn't work either. So to play it safe, bought Crucial Ballistix 2666 sticks, officially supported by the Mobo. All my stability issues seem to have been resolved.

CDP_8

Prominent
May 10, 2017
Any day now, apparently. Thanks for the info. Googling for that lead me to the Gigabyte fora, lots of people suffering from similar issues.