Question Ryzen 5 1600x high temperature. Any advice?

Pycass

Prominent
May 28, 2019
So I have a ryzen 5 1600x since October 2018. Cooler Wraith Max, motherboard b350 pc mate MSI and Arctic Silver 5 paste. Oh and OC at 4.0 ghz.
I was playing Witcher 3. When I was done I cecked the temperatures in MSI afterburner I noticed my CPU idle was 60 degrees CELSIUS and even hit 87 degrees CELSIUS. And the gpu had 70 degrees but that's fine.
Since October I changed the thermal paste 3 times. Last time being 3 weeks ago. Max temperatures were 80-82 degrees. I do admit outside is very hot (about 35-40 degrees Celsius) and in my room is hot but I don't know how hot.
I did run once cinebench to see if the temperature hits again 87, and it crashed. Did nothing different from other times I ran it.
So my questions are:
  1. Should I replace the thermal paste for the 4th time?
  2. Underclock the cpu to 3.6? (I did do that once a month back but it affected the temperature by onle 1-2 degrees)
  3. Or just leave it as it is?
  4. Since I can't make it any cooler in my room, any other suggestions?
P.S. I did find on the internet that my motherboard displays +20 degrees than it actually has. But I don't really believe that since my cpu also had sometimes even 37 degrees , does that mean it had 17 degrees?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Try using Ryzen Master to check the CPU temperature:
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master
And if it is 40C or hotter in the room where you are using the PC the CPU temps will definitely be higher than if the room temps were 21-23C.
Most CPUs idle at around 20-25C above ambient temperature with a decent cooler so if your room is 40C then an idle temp of 60C is very likely.
You could try removing the PC side panel and aiming a box fan directly at the CPU and see if that helps.
But I would definitely set the CPU back to stock settings and even undervolt it if possible.
And you could also disable PBO so it doesn't boost at all if you can't get your temps down to a reasonable level.

Pycass

Prominent
May 28, 2019
Try using Ryzen Master to check the CPU temperature:
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master
And if it is 40C or hotter in the room where you are using the PC the CPU temps will definitely be higher than if the room temps were 21-23C.
Most CPUs idle at around 20-25C above ambient temperature with a decent cooler so if your room is 40C then an idle temp of 60C is very likely.
You could try removing the PC side panel and aiming a box fan directly at the CPU and see if that helps.
But I would definitely set the CPU back to stock settings and even undervolt it if possible.
And you could also disable PBO so it doesn't boost at all if you can't get your temps down to a reasonable level.
I also have Ryzen Master and the tmeperatures are exactly the same as afterburner.
But will try out underclocking and undervolting.
Oh and also I have a case fan right on top of the CPU cooler that is blowing air away from the cooler+ cpu, should I turn it around so it blows air on the cooler+ cpu?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Oh and also I have a case fan right on top of the CPU cooler that is blowing air away from the cooler+ cpu, should I turn it around so it blows air on the cooler+ cpu?

I would give it a shot.
I have a side panel fan on my PC also and it is an intake fan that blows directly at my top PCI-e slot where my GPU is located.
And it definitely helps cool my CPU/GPU/motherboard and Chipset down when it spins up to 85% or higher.
I can actually watch the temps lower as it spins faster.

Pycass

Prominent
May 28, 2019
I did that and ow my CPU is at 3.6 ghz and 1.2 V, temps are now way better. Idle 45-48 and max only hit 69 (after I ran cinebench about 6 times).
I will go back to my old settings only when the temperature outside and in my room settles down a little.

Reactions: DMAN999

TRENDING THREADS