Ryzen 5 1600x not hitting 4.1GHz + abit of beginners help wanted

MetalShady

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Hey guys so ive just upgraded my system using some of my old parts and some new my specs are as follows

EVGA 550W 80 Gold psu
Ryzen 5 1600x
Asus Stix B350 mobo
GTX 970 gpu
3000mhz Corsair vengence ram
120 ssd
4tb hdd
artic freezer 13 pro cooler

now first off according to the ryzen master my cpu is set at 3.7 that comes down at idle wit varying voltages raging from .8 but will flux upto 1.5 for a second but will mainly settle at 1.3ish are all thhese what i should be expecting? as i thought it would turbo upto 4.1?

i tried a little overclock at 3.9 at 1.3v and it seemed to perform really well temps all good etc 50ish under load and resting at 30ish but as im new to pc's and overclocking especially just wanted to make sure this was all ok before running it long term

also my ram 3000mhz but will only run 2166 i have seen overs have this problem but is there anything i can do to get it up to 3000 in bios its set to auto btw

and finally is there any bios setting i should change from the default to increase performance etc

pc is used mainly for gaming playing battlegrounds overwatch but also looking to play all top titles destiny 2 star wars cod etc

thanks for any help guys i use to have pc's years ago but things have come a long way since then so i feel alittle behind

Solution

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

1. The CPU only turbos 1 core upto 4.1ghz under the right cooling conditions and when require.

2. 3.9ghz at 1.3v with those temps is a great overclock, have you tried running any tests to make sure this is stable ? you may be able to push a bit more out of it, maybe 4ghz.

3. with your ram set at auto it will run at 2133mhz, you need to either try and load XMP profile in the bios, or slowly raise it yourself, ie try 2666mhz, if that doesnt work try 2400mhz, ram problems are still being fixed with bios updates.

As for overclocking, disable things like AMD Cool and Quite, C6 states, set the vcore voltage manually in the bios, at auto, you never really know what the board is putting through the CPU, also, there should be an option somewhere called loadline calibration, once you've set the vcore, if you monitor CPU temps and voltage, you may see under stress the voltage drops, load line calibration stops this from happening, you'll have to play with this setting yourself to find where you dont get any vdroop at all, too tight and the voltage will droop up, too loose and the volatge droops down, set CPU SoC voltage to 1.100v in total, this runs at 0.900v at stock, so if you bios works in offset voltage mode, where is shows you what the stock is at and then you have an option for +/- voltage just add 0.180v, this helps memory get upto speed, ram voltage and timings you can leave at auto, also, disable downcore control, thats about it for the overclocking menu.

As for other menu's, disable any SATA ports you are not using, also disable things like parallel port and serial port headers, this will all help with posting and boot a little faster, just disable anything you are not using or have no intentions of using, if you have your own soundcard, disable the on-board sound for instance.

Solution

MetalShady

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

cheers for your help mate i have ran cinebench heaven and prime 95 all without crashing at 3.9 and 1.3v ill see if i can get a little more

XMP is another thing i cannot find this setting in the bios :S

ill get in the bios and have a tweak about :) thanks