Question Ryzen 5 1600x or Ryzen 7 1700

Mar 18, 2019
Hello what procesor is better for this pc?
CPU: ?
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 G1 GAMING 8 GB
Motherboard: ASUS B350-F ROG STRIX
PSU: 500w EVGA Just i nedd only 500W or more?
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2x8 2666 mhz
SSD: 240 GB CRUCIAL BX500
CPU COOLER: stock cooler or be quiet Pure Rock BK009
CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MCB-Q300L-KAN-S00
What is better for this pc Ryzen 5 1600X or Ryzen 7 1700 for gaming.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
For gaming, the 1600X. Higher clocks, more than sufficient cores/threads.

On the PSU front, it really depends on the quality, not just the wattage stated. I don't believe EVGA have a "good" quality 500W unit. Some mediocre, some terrible.

For your memory, aim for 3000-3200MHz if possible. Ryzen benefits from faster memory.

Mar 18, 2019
For gaming, the 1600X. Higher clocks, more than sufficient cores/threads.

On the PSU front, it really depends on the quality, not just the wattage stated. I don't believe EVGA have a "good" quality 500W unit. Some mediocre, some terrible.

For your memory, aim for 3000-3200MHz if possible. Ryzen benefits from faster memory.
Ok then Corsair VS650 White Certified and Kingston HX432C16PB3K2/16 3200 mhz is it good?
17-139-228-V01.jpg
1bf6eb132b25024fe85ac42a3e3dfbf8--mmf130x130.jpg

Mar 18, 2019
Neither! use an AMD FX-9590 although that's an AM3+ socket and might change your build in other ways as well. Higher clock speed, more cores, lower price. Although that processor gets hot, so stick a good heat sink on it.

Also, don't underestimate your need for cores, IMHO four or even six cores is too few for gaming unless you intend to turn off your antivirus software and anything else that might be running in the background while you game.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Neither! use an AMD FX-9590 although that's an AM3+ socket and might change your build in other ways as well. Higher clock speed, more cores, lower price. Although that processor gets hot, so stick a good heat sink on it.

Also, don't underestimate your need for cores, IMHO four or even six cores is too few for gaming unless you intend to turn off your antivirus software and anything else that might be running in the background while you game.

Horrible advice, even when the 9590 was new... let alone ~5 years later.

For once I sincerely hope that was a (poor) attempt at trolling opposed to genuine advice.

Ok then Corsair VS650 White Certified and Kingston HX432C16PB3K2/16 3200 mhz is it good?

The RAM is good, the PSU... not so much.
Where are you located? And what kind of budget are you working with for a PSU?

Mar 18, 2019

FX is trash

Mar 18, 2019

For once I sincerely hope that was a (poor) attempt at trolling opposed to genuine advice.

budget on PSU 50 or 60 € and I am located in Slovakia.

Mar 18, 2019

Wait the ram is only 1 stick
Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 AT 16GB 3000MHz CL17 BLS2K8G4D30CESTK or
CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport LT Grey DDR4 16GB 3200MHz CL16 BLS2K8G4D32AESBK

both 2x8 gb what better

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

This is literally one of the worst answers I've ever seen on this site. I hope nobody ever sees this post and actually listens to it. I wish you had broken a rule in here so i could justifiably delete it.

Reactions: Barty1884 and Vlade

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The kit you initially linked
HX432C16PB3K2/16

Is a 2x8GB kit.
https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX432C16PB3K2_16.pdf

The Crucial kit is 2x8GB too.
Either would be solid options but yes, you want a 2x8GB kit.

budget on PSU 50 or 60 € and I am located in Slovakia.
Is a little over your budget.

A solid option, albeit a dated platform.

Both much more viable solutions than a VS

use an AMD FX-9590

And

Also, don't underestimate your need for cores, IMHO four or even six cores is too few for gaming

Are mutually exclusive statements, not that they were fundamentally sound statements in the first place. Only reason I can come up with for these recommendations are intentionally trolling or a complete lack of knowledge in this area.

In any case, NO FX CPU should be getting recommended at this point in time, regardless of WHAT you are trying to upgrade from, unless it's a severe situation and you already have a weaker FX CPU. Even then, probably a waste of money.

Mar 18, 2019
Wow hohoho, it appears I stepped on a group consensus :sleep::sleep:. Do you have a logical reason for being critical hmm? Or is this just more herd like behavior out of people? Older does not instantly = worse. You can build up a decent system around many older CPU's out there and save money. I can already tell I will not be drinking the kool-aid around here.

Case and point: https://novabench.com/view/1411643

A decent benchmark from an FX build :giggle:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019
The kit you initially linked

Is a 2x8GB kit.
https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX432C16PB3K2_16.pdf

The Crucial kit is 2x8GB too.
Either would be solid options but yes, you want a 2x8GB kit.

Is a little over your budget.

A solid option, albeit a dated platform.

Both much more viable solutions than a VS
And Barty is the 144 hz monitor good for this sytem or 60hz better?

Mar 18, 2019
That is the score of the system as a whole. Of which the GPU is providing 1400 points.
Exactly, system as a whole!!!!! I never said the FX was the superior processor. My point was at current market prices for the FX processor you can build a decent PC.

There is a difference between a decent computer and the best computer. If one is trying to make the best computer possible, then just buy a threadripper and go from there.

Exactly, system as a whole!!!!! I never said the FX was the superior processor. My point was at current market prices for the FX processor you can build a decent PC.

There is a difference between a decent computer and the best computer. If one is trying to make the best computer possible, then just buy a threadripper and go from there.
Not really. In its best scenario, a synthetic benchmark (which you provided) the FX series drastically lags behind modern options. Combine this with subsequently worse RAM performance given platform limitations and a zero option upgrade path with no GPU headroom, its a terrible investment.

Additionally, the recommendation of a 9590 is not even laughable its so bad. A 220w monstrosity that nobody asked for, nearly incapable of running at stock speeds, and all for no real performance gain.

Sure. Someone out there might want an FX processor.
Given the price of current gen hardware? Its pointless.

Mar 18, 2019
Not really. In its best scenario, a synthetic benchmark (which you provided) the FX series drastically lags behind modern options. Combine this with subsequently worse RAM performance given platform limitations and a zero option upgrade path with no GPU headroom, its a terrible investment.

Additionally, the recommendation of a 9590 is not even laughable its so bad. A 220w monstrosity that nobody asked for, nearly incapable of running at stock speeds, and all for no real performance gain.

Sure. Someone out there might want an FX processor.
Given the price of current gen hardware? Its pointless.

Hahaha I love that old 220W beast just like how I love an old mustang. The FX will lag because its slower and older as it should be. I would think less of AMD if their new processors didn't beat the old ones. However, surrounded with the right hardware and most importantly AT THE RIGHT PRICE, the FX can still game just fine.

Hahaha I love that old 220W beast just like how I love an old mustang. The FX will lag because its slower and older as it should. I would think less of AMD if their new processor didn't beat the old ones. However, surrounded with the right hardware and most importantly AT THE RIGHT PRICE, the FX can still game just fine.
Thats great and all, now go read the OP one more time.
Motherboard and RAM are already selected, as well as a GPU the FX series is incapable of fully running.
The FX recommendation has no place in this thread.

Mar 18, 2019
Was that the problem? That I was off topic? My apologizes. I will say this though, when your moderators are rude, it tends drag things further into the weeds. Since I have a greater need to explain myself.

Figures. Most of the time those who make those kinds of posts tend to shift blame. We call it psychological projection. Nobody here asked about or brought up an FX processor until you did, and it had no place in this conversation based on the OP and the existing hardware selection. Not to mention there is plenty of both anecdotal and empirical evidence to support the fact that there has NEVER been a motherboard or cooling system combination sufficient for supporting the 9 series FX processors without serious VRM problems not to mention the additional fact that those processors are notorious voltage leakers and were horrific choices even when they were brand new and it was a current platform.

So yes, it was not only off topic but it was bad advice to boot. Stop trying to blame others for correcting misinformation and poor advice by accusing THEM of unacceptable behavior. The whole point of users coming here with questions is to be able to get solid, trustworthy recommendations and yours simply was neither of those things. If you like the FX series, that's great, you use it.

Furthermore, lets DO keep this thread ON TRACK with any future posts. End of the line for the FX conversation. Thanks.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Was that the problem? That I was off topic? My apologizes. I will say this though, when your moderators are rude, it tends drag things further into the weeds. Since I have a greater need to explain myself.

We are rude when the advice is not only bad, its off topic. The OP was asking for Ryzen processors. And you keep saying its better for the price? Where and how?

Try and buy an FX-9590 right now they go for $200 on Amazon, a 990FX board goes for about $230, then you need a liquid cooler, 850w minimum PSU, and DDR3 ram. All to get your pants beaten off by a Ryzen 3 2200G which is not on an old dead platform, and can be built for half the price. In a couple years if you want more cores, easy upgrade. That FX-9590 system? Well now its a $500 doorstop.

You like your system, great we are glad you are enjoying it. But you're not the first contestant here to show up with a 9590 and tell tall tales of its performance. Bad spurious advice like that is a quick path to getting banned. You're dealing with real people and their real money here, so bad advice is not tolerated. One of the Mod team even owns and runs one and would be more than happy to tell you what a pile of garbage it is, and even worse building with one in 2019. Now stop derailing this guy's thread and move along.