[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 1600x with GTX 1070ti should I upgrade?

diegoccantarutti

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I'm getting a new case, fans and CPU cooler and I thought it might be a good time to upgrade my CPU (currently AMD Ryzen 5 1600x).
I don't know much about PC building, my friend built it for me 2 years ago, but I was looking for comparisons between my current CPU and Ryzen 7 models as the difference in percentage terms didn't seem like a lot.
So the question is whether I should upgrade the CPU (or GPU) and if so, for what?

It has to be something compatible with my MO (MSI x370 gaming plus) as I don't want to change that. According to MSI specification the "best" model that would be compatible.

Solution
Depends on what you are doing. On the CPU side, I wouldn't bother upgrading unless there are specific CPU-bound tasks that you need to get done faster or play games that show clear signs of CPU-related bottlenecking mainly in the form of significant in-game performance drops while the GPU is nowhere near 100% load.

For most gaming, you would likely be better off upgrading the 1050Ti instead as it is barely adequate for 1080p60 medium-ish details. As for "to what", I'd wait for the RTX3060 or RTX3050 depending on how much you are willing to spend.

InvalidError

Titan
Depends on what you are doing. On the CPU side, I wouldn't bother upgrading unless there are specific CPU-bound tasks that you need to get done faster or play games that show clear signs of CPU-related bottlenecking mainly in the form of significant in-game performance drops while the GPU is nowhere near 100% load.

For most gaming, you would likely be better off upgrading the 1050Ti instead as it is barely adequate for 1080p60 medium-ish details. As for "to what", I'd wait for the RTX3060 or RTX3050 depending on how much you are willing to spend.

Solution

diegoccantarutti

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018

My GPU is 1070ti not 1050ti, according to some sites it plays most games on recommended settings.