Ryzen 5 2400g APU Showing Artifacts

May 14, 2018
Hi All,

I just built my first PC. Spects are:
-Ryzen 5 2400g
-MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium
-G.Skill Tridentz DDR4-3200 16gb (2 8gb)
-EVGA 750 B3 80 Plus Bronze 750 watt

It is currently running just fine in every instance, except when i try and play a game. Depending on the game, it either changes the color or displays artifacts. In Star Wars Battlefront 2, blue is orange and orange is blue. In Fornite, the screen is a rainbow (artifacts).

You can see the images here: https://imgur.com/a/WkXd5Ds

My question is, how do I determine if it's the memory module or the graphics portion of the APU? Please note I get this if I overclock or leave everything at stock.

All drivers are up to date, BIOS is up to date, and Windows is up to date (I have also tried reinstalling it 3 times to see if it would fix the problem).

I also don't have any problems when I run the Heaven benchmark or while using the PC for anything except playing games...

The reason why I ask is, it took Newegg 3 tries at sending me G.Skill Tridentz ram that would let my computer boot. The first pack had 1 good stick. I ordered another pack, and neither stick worked. I then ordered a 3rd pack, and both sticks allowed me to boot into windows and would run programs individually in each dim slot. I then returned the first two packs.

Any feedback is appreciated!

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Are you running the memory on it's XMP profile? Also, I think you should get some memory that you know works from another PC or friend and try it, this will narrow it down to the motherboard, CPU, or memory. The APU uses the system memory as it's VRam, so it is possible the memory is bad for the 3rd time. I would run Mem Test on the ram to rule that out, if it fails that's the issue. If it isn't the memory try taking the PC to a shop to have the CPU or motherboard tested with another APU.

May 14, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried manually clocking the RAM from 3400 all the way down to 2100, as well as profile 1 and 2 on XMP, and it all displays the exact same problem. Again, the system runs fine except for when I launch a game. Do you recommend any ram test in particular?

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Memtest86 will test the sectors of your memory, test each stick.

May 14, 2018

I tried Memtest 86, and it stopped running because of how many error codes there were. It's clear that the memory is bad. After running the test, I am unable to boot back into windows. My motherboard gives me error codes 60, 3F, and 33, and when I switched the dim slots, it gave me F9.

Could it be that the motherboard is bad and frying the ram? Or did I just get bad ram for the 3rd time?

Memtest86 images linked:
https://i.imgur.com/6ZpUgdS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VN3MyLp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/N5oebji.jpg

I'd say the ram, but what you need to do is make sure you write down the serial number and keep a log of it. This would be unacceptable for the 3rd time, but you should also complain about the motherboard, if you got it all from the same place and get it all changed at the same time. You never know, it could be something to do with the mobo screwing the ram up and the manufacturers need to work together to fix the problem.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

When your memory is kicking out so many error codes that Memtest 86 crashes, either you have some really f@cked up memory or something else is bad, and I suspect it is not the memory at this point, G. Skill's Trident Z is good ram and I have rarely heard of it being dead from the factory, let alone 3 times in a row. I suspect it is the motherboard, RMA it if you still have a warranty.

May 14, 2018

You are right. I ran memtest 86 on each stick individually with no errors. I only receive errors when it is run with both of them. I still get the artifacts/wrong color though when booting on one stick... again only in games. I also experienced something completely crazy! When I hit the windows key + G, all of the artifacts go away. If I start recording, everything plays fine...???

This is obviously not a long term solution. Any idea why this happens? I'll try and get a video of it to post.

Alright, here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEodo9wxU0g

Could this be a driver issue? I played a full game with it recording without any problems!

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Interesting, it could be a driver issue, I would make sure you have ALL of your motherboard drivers, as well as a BIOS update, and check for new GPU drivers.

May 14, 2018

I reinstalled the latest BIOS, reinstalled the Radeon drivers and AMD drivers, etc and still the same problem. I decided instead of reinstalling Windows that I would install an older installation, and boom. No more problems. I have yet to re-test the ram via memtest 86. I'm curious to see if I still get errors when running both sticks together. If so, there is still a problem. I will update with my findings later. Thanks for your time and help!

So running memtest 86 on both sticks and individually all passed with zero errors. Again, I haven't had any problems after installing an older version of Windows 10. I however can't get games to play with my 3200 ram running at 3200. They keep crashing, but everything is stable at 3000. Kind of sucks, but I'll take it.

May 19, 2018

I'm having the exact same problem with Fortnite and the rainbow screen artifacts with a R5 2400g. If I go into the video settings in Fortnite and switch it around between Fullscreen->Windowed Fullscreen->Windowed a few times it'll correct itself but it's definitely annoying. I've also had the "green screen crash" that I've seen others mention in different forums.

FWIW I have an ASROCK AB350 mobo and Viper 4 Series DDR4 3400 RAM (2x8GB) so I think it's an issue with the 2400g. I also never had the problem until the most recent Windows update.

May 14, 2018

So I do not know if you read through the thread, but installing an older version of windows 10 solved this for me (I had the latest install). As I'm at work, I do not remember what version I have installed, but it's worth a try. Best of luck!

May 14, 2018

What fixed this for me was installing an older version of Windows 10. As I'm at work and don't recall the version that I installed, I cannot tell you, but I will post when I return home.

mtzymonster

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
Could you tell me the version of windows that fixed that for you? My brother got his first pc as well, and faces the same problem. Switching resolution will fix the colors but only till he starts the game again. It will happen with xmp profile on and off. The strange part is that yesterday I was setting his pc up, and tried to open fortnite to make sure it works, it actually opened with out artifacts or anything strange.