Ryzen 5 2400G build help

Jan 25, 2019
Hello guys,

I want to build my first system, one based on Ryzen 5 2400G. My very old PC (i7 870 2.93ghz, HD 4350) died - I mean it's motherboard died. I am trying to do a budget build here and in 1 year maybe add an RX 580 or something even better and then in another 1 year change the CPU with one of the better Ryzen 7 out at that time. I have never did anything like this before so if I made stupid mistakes please bear with me. Thanks and any suggestions are very welcomed and appreciated.

I am building this for work stuff and also for playing some games in low settings until I can get a Rx 580 or better.

Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH (or ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING)

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G

PSU: old psu from my old PC (500w) or is this a bad idea? (or nJoy Woden 650, 650W Real Power, PFC Activ, 80 Plus Gold)

RAM: Patriot Viper 4 Series 2x4Gb 3000Mhz CL16 dual channel kit (or if I have some extra money the G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 3000MHZ CL16 1.35v Dual Channel Kit)

HDD: WD Black 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64MB WD1003FZEX

Everything will probably go in a Middle Tower.

1. What coolers/fans do I need right now? When I'll get the RX 580 I will get extra ones but for now, what do I need?

2. Is this an okay build?

3. Do you guys still experience BIOS or motherboard issues with GPUs from AMD? I know there were such issues when this first launched.

4. I the future, I will add more RAM to this. How should I go about it? I was thinking of getting 1x8GB first and then another (the same if possible) 1x8GB afterwards.

ron2456

Distinguished
1. get the 16gb 2x8gb kit. You will need 16gb ram dual channel ram as Ryzen works best with 16gb and for future games they need more than 8gb.
2. Stock cooler is more than enough if you don't live in a hot place or you dont overclock.
3. Get the B450M motherboard. A320 is non overclockable.
4. Drop the wd black and get a 250gb ssd + wd blue wd10ezex 1tb.
5. For PSU i would suggest Corsair CX550(new white labels and above series like CXM, RX, AXi) or Seasonic PSU. Both of the PSU yo mentioned are junk. They may or maynot work with APU but with a dedicated GPU they will surely blow up.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
-either get PSU now or you will need to buy it when u get yourself a GPU.
-2x8gb dual channel KIT see if you can get 3200mhz... and if u not getting them and on budget get 2400mhz 2x4gb KIT .. one stick is a big NO NO for APUs
-no point getting a BLACK HDD get a 250gb ssd and WD blue 7200rpm.
-B450 or B350 over A320, u not only need new bios with A320 you also cannot overclock 2400G with it(with B350 u will need Bios update)

oww and if you worried about 2400mhz 2x4gb?? they works like a charm.. i got 2200G and you be surprised the games it can run.but i have no future plans of getting a GPU

Jan 25, 2019
@Ron2456 - Thank you for your detailed answers.
1. I might not be able to get 16Gb right now but planning on that in the near future.
3. Good to know the B450M is a good match.
4. Will do that instead of a Black one.
5. Thank you for the suggestion. I can find the Corsair CX550 and it does look better.

I see that you also have a 2400g. Did you have any issues with BIOS, motherboard, RAM with it?

What RAM would you recommend? I can't find the ADATA PREMIER (that you have). I'm just afraid of potential errors on this build, errors that I may not know how to solve.

Jan 25, 2019

@rookieGamer - Thank you for your answers.
Will get a PSU now I think. I'm aware of the one stick issues with APU. There's not that much of a difference between the 2400mhz and 3000mhz where I live so I'll get the more powerful one.
Will go with the ssd and WD blue option.

- So, with the B450 I might not need a BIOS update?

- I'm very curios if you it can run Assassin's Creed Origins (or odyssey) even if at the lowest settings possible? I've seen this on Youtube and was wondering if it is possible?

- Also, what RAM would you recommend? What brand works well with these APU?

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017

B450 comes with updated bios, the thing with b450 is u dont need older ryzen chip to update Bios before you could even put a ryzen APU in like on B350, u can update bios with 2nd gen ryzen chips if there is a Bios update.
- which ever you can find cheap, Ram still cost kidneys :p just check which are recommend by motherboard. and get them in a kit sometimes ram which didn't come in Kit just dont work together even when they are same make and speed.

i myself never tried Assassins creed, just not a Fan of that game but i did run Shadow of tomb raider and Battlefield5
u can run them 720p mix settings and get avg 35fps and 30fps respectively 99% of the time, u can push to little higher than 720p low settings and get 25-30fps but i personally like keep texture details mid to high and anti aliasing on
i also am running it on 2400Mhz regular green rams(nothing fancy no heatsinks on those puppies :p) so with 3000mhz u get 2-4fps more. and using 2200G which gives 3-6fps less than 2400G

so with 2400G and 3000Mhz u got nothing to worry about.

ron2456

Distinguished
Nope, I had never had issues with the ram and mobo and apu. It runs great.
Don't get the ram I have, its slow. Atleast get a 3000kit. If you don't plan to game now then get a 8gb 3000 but keep in mind next time you have to get the exact same model or sell the current ine and get a dual kit.
For PSU CX550 is a great choice for beginners as it gives its rated near full capacity on 12V rail. But beware GET THE WHITE/GREY LABELLED ONES. DON'T GET THE GREEN LABELLED ONE.

Edit: I see you want to play odyssey. Odyssey wont work with a 8gb ram and APU combo. You need minimum 2gb gpu vram and 8gb ram which totals to 10gb(not possible) so 16gb ram in total. Get the highest clocked ram you can get. Consult the motherboard QVL ram support list( Raven Ridge for 2400G Apu). Other games like AC Unity, BF1, NFS Rivals will.run on 50Fps on low-medium on 720 and on low on 1080

Jan 25, 2019
B450 comes with updated bios, the thing with b450 is u dont need older ryzen chip to update Bios before you could even put a ryzen APU in like on B350, u can update bios with 2nd gen ryzen chips if there is a Bios update.
- which ever you can find cheap, Ram still cost kidneys :p just check which are recommend by motherboard. and get them in a kit sometimes ram which didn't come in Kit just dont work together even when they are same make and speed.

i myself never tried Assassins creed, just not a Fan of that game but i did run Shadow of tomb raider and Battlefield5 u can run them 720p mix settings and get avg 35fps and 30fps respectively 99% of the time, u can push to little higher than 720p low settings and get 25-30fps but i personally like keep texture details mid to high and anti aliasing on
i also am running it on 2400Mhz regular green rams(nothing fancy no heatsinks on those puppies :p) so with 3000mhz u get 2-4fps more. and using 2200G which gives 3-6fps less than 2400G

so with 2400G and 3000Mhz u got nothing to worry about. [/quotemsg]

@rookieGamer - good to know that B450 come with updated BIOS. I've seen Youtube videos with many games working at 720p and I don't really need more.

Could you also tell me the steps I have to take after the build is ready. I know that I will need Windows 10 and then what? Download chipset drivers? From where? From the Motherboard site or from AMD?

Jan 25, 2019

@ron2456 - I know I will need another 4 or 8GB for Odyssey but one can dream, no :)?

It's great to hear you had no issues with the system as I've read and seen issues on such hardward (but those happened close to the launch date so maybe things are better now).

Why do I have to get the exact same RAM model? Because if not the dual channeling won't be activated?

If I get 2x4GB now, can I then get 1x8GB and later another 1x8GB? so 24GB in total

Also, what do I do if for some reason I can't find the same model of RAM as my initial ones?

Could you also tell me the steps I have to take after the build is ready. I know that I will need Windows 10 and then what? Download chipset drivers? From where? From the Motherboard site or from AMD? Maybe share a Youtube video that shows this step by step?

Would also like to know what changes I need to make in my BIOS (if any)?

ron2456

Distinguished

1. Mixing ram models can cause incompatibility issues, like you out a vengeance 3000 and a Adata xpg 3000, they will cause issues as timings, chip manufaturer etc are different. That is why always buy tested Dual channel kit or Rams that are from same manufacturer with exact same specs.
2. After windows install download AUDIO, LAN, USB 3.1 drivers from motherboard website support page. And GPU and Chipset drivers from AMD.
3. Ryzen works best with only 2 sticks of ram. 4 sticks may cause Rams to not work at rated speeds. Get a 2x4gb stick now and when you are ready to upgrade get a 2x 8gb.
4. Just increase Internal GPU memory to 1024 MB.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017

@rookieGamer - good to know that B450 come with updated BIOS. I've seen Youtube videos with many games working at 720p and I don't really need more.

Could you also tell me the steps I have to take after the build is ready. I know that I will need Windows 10 and then what? Download chipset drivers? From where? From the Motherboard site or from AMD?
[/quotemsg]

drivers from motherboard company site and GPU drivers from AMD site. thats about it but get windows update 1st
oww and once you done go to BIOS and increase vram allocation from 256mb to 2gb