Question Ryzen 5 2400g Mobo Changed and unable to get Stable/Worthy Overclock

ShortTerm

Prominent
Dec 24, 2019
I recently had to replace my previous Mobo a Gigabyte Aorus B450m because a portion of the board near the VRM short circuited. The rest of the Hardware seemingly was undamaged, and has been running without issues on my new Mobo a MSI B450m Gaming Plus. I believe the issue that occurred with the Aorus was dust and ventilation related as I had incorrect air flow which I have corrected since, Though I have not ruled out the possibility of an unstable overclock being the issue.

Current Overclock

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400g @ 3.675MHz on 1.25V & GPU @ 1260MHz on 1.0875V ( NB Voltage Linked)
CPU Fan: Wraith Stealth (Stock Cooler)
Case Fans: 1x Rosewill Front Fan @ 1500RPM & 1x Antec Rear Fan @ 1100RPM
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus
RAM: Patriot Viper 4 c16 3000mhz 2x4gb @ 2933MHz on 1.35v X.M.P Profile 2.
PSU: Rosewill 450w Bronze

Previous Overclock
(Same Hardware, except Mobo)

CPU: 3.75MHz on 1.35v
GPU: 1460Mhz on 1.25v
RAM: 3133/3066MHz on 1.35v X.M.P Profile 2
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B450m

Currently I've set the CPU & GPU Clocks just beyond stock and thermals look like this after running Cinebench R20

CPU Temps Min: 33 C | Max: 76.3 C | Avg: 39.3 C

The issue I'm currently having is reaching the clocks I was able to previously attain on the Aorus MOBO with the same hardware. Before thermals were an issue and I was forced to downclock to keep Temperatures UNDER 95-100C When at load and in the 50's at idle. Now with air flow and repositioning of my tower both ambient temperature and on-load temperatures are vastly reduced, but I'm unable to get past 3.7MHz CPU clock, Get terrible Artifacts past 1300MHZ GPU, and Issues posting when my 3000MHz Rated memory is set to use 3000MHz.

With all that said I believe the question that I'm trying to ask is, should I be able to reach those clocks on this MOBO, or am I limited with this Mobo to much lower clocks? Also, with the overclocks i'm applying being as 'minor' as they are, should I just go with stock settings, enable core boost, and operate from there? Or will I be losing out on potential performance?

I apologize for the disorganization of my thoughts, this issue has had my mind split as to the cause of the instability for sometime now, Thanks in advance~

strongly suspect your old cpu voltage along with RAM for the instability.
doubt the clocks for emulated VRAM would have been stable enough for sustained use.

I recently had to replace my previous Mobo a Gigabyte Aorus B450m because a portion of the board near the VRM short circuited. The rest of the Hardware seemingly was undamaged, and has been running without issues on my new Mobo a MSI B450m Gaming Plus. I believe the issue that occurred with the Aorus was dust and ventilation related as I had incorrect air flow which I have corrected since, Though I have not ruled out the possibility of an unstable overclock being the issue.

Current Overclock

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400g @ 3.675MHz on 1.25V & GPU @ 1260MHz on 1.0875V ( NB Voltage Linked)
CPU Fan: Wraith Stealth (Stock Cooler)
Case Fans: 1x Rosewill Front Fan @ 1500RPM & 1x Antec Rear Fan @ 1100RPM
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus
RAM: Patriot Viper 4 c16 3000mhz 2x4gb @ 2933MHz on 1.35v X.M.P Profile 2.
PSU: Rosewill 450w Bronze

Previous Overclock
(Same Hardware, except Mobo)

CPU: 3.75MHz on 1.35v
GPU: 1460Mhz on 1.25v
RAM: 3133/3066MHz on 1.35v X.M.P Profile 2
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B450m

Currently I've set the CPU & GPU Clocks just beyond stock and thermals look like this after running Cinebench R20

CPU Temps Min: 33 C | Max: 76.3 C | Avg: 39.3 C

The issue I'm currently having is reaching the clocks I was able to previously attain on the Aorus MOBO with the same hardware. Before thermals were an issue and I was forced to downclock to keep Temperatures UNDER 95-100C When at load and in the 50's at idle. Now with air flow and repositioning of my tower both ambient temperature and on-load temperatures are vastly reduced, but I'm unable to get past 3.7MHz CPU clock, Get terrible Artifacts past 1300MHZ GPU, and Issues posting when my 3000MHz Rated memory is set to use 3000MHz.

With all that said I believe the question that I'm trying to ask is, should I be able to reach those clocks on this MOBO, or am I limited with this Mobo to much lower clocks? Also, with the overclocks i'm applying being as 'minor' as they are, should I just go with stock settings, enable core boost, and operate from there? Or will I be losing out on potential performance?

I apologize for the disorganization of my thoughts, this issue has had my mind split as to the cause of the instability for sometime now, Thanks in advance~

ShortTerm

Prominent
Dec 24, 2019
Ah, the last change I made on the previous board was too voltages pretty much all around, and the day following the board failed.

Too little CPU voltage for too much Ram clock? I do have the headroom to increase heat, so should I play around with +1.35v for both CPU and RAM? Which is something I haven't dared do at all on this hardware because of the horrible thermals I had with where the tower was located as well as fans placement.

EDIT;
I'm noticing that even with Core Boost & Game Boost enabled the processor is not gaining clock, and whenever the core clock is set to Auto,Stock 3.6MHz, or anything below 3.6Mhz Manually the CPU voltage would differ from the set voltage in BIOS, and the core clock would in either of these scenarios do the same, applying as if it were set to a self-adjusting setting. This issue was arising during the initial overclocking on this motherboard, whenever an overclock failed to boot, it would apply 1.5v's and low clocks to the system, and it would take multiple bios resets or manually increasing the CPU clock too 3.625v to correct the issue to allow the values I had set to be applied.

Last edited: