Question Ryzen 5 2400G or 1600?

TheGRz

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
As I'm 3 days close to my build this thought came into my mind. Why I'm i picking the 1600 over the 2400G?

What will be the benefits of having 2 more core and 4 more thread?

PS: Please don't suggest me to go for 2600 because that one doesn't fit for my budget. And as I'm going to OC the 1600 there will be a marginal performance difference. Plus the 1st gen ryzen is so cheap i could get one for price lower than for 2400G

Any choice really depends on your use case. If you have a graphics card better than the Vega 11 on the 2400G, then the integrated graphics is somewhat redundant. It is handy if the graphics card is faulty and the Vega 11 is there as backup.

Some games are saturating 4c/8t, so the Ryzen 5 1600 will have a bit more to offer with its 6c/12t.

For myself and usage of Blender the 1600 is better for rendering purposes.

InvalidError

Titan
This does not make sense. I just checked the prices on amazon.com and we're talking $150 vs $165 here. Only 10% more cost for 60-70% more processing power is simply too much bang per buck to leave on the table in my book. The 2400G only makes sense if you do not want to put a discrete GPU in the system any time soon. In all other cases, the 2600 makes a whole lot more sense.

BTW, keep in mind that AMD significantly improved DRAM compatibility with the 2000 series, improved internal latencies and improved IPC. You don't get that with the 1600 and even a meager overclock to 3.9GHz can be difficult or even impossible. Then there also is the 2600's better power-efficiency compared to an 1600 especially when overclocked that will easily pay for itself over the first year or two.

TheGRz

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
This does not make sense. I just checked the prices on amazon.com and we're talking $150 vs $165 here. Only 10% more cost for 60-70% more processing power is simply too much bang per buck to leave on the table in my book. The 2400G only makes sense if you do not want to put a discrete GPU in the system any time soon. In all other cases, the 2600 makes a whole lot more sense.

BTW, keep in mind that AMD significantly improved DRAM compatibility with the 2000 series, improved internal latencies and improved IPC. You don't get that with the 1600 and even a meager overclock to 3.9GHz can be difficult or even impossible. Then there also is the 2600's better power-efficiency compared to an 1600 especially when overclocked that will easily pay for itself over the first year or two.

I'm residing in India, here pc parts are priced 20% higher than in the US. The price here is $166 vs $230. The difference is almost $60 and that'll make a huge impact in my budget! As from the price i mentioned above you can understand the pricing here. To me my budget is $900 here, which should include a 75Hz monitor, And some peripherals. The fact is We can't get the exact parts with the exact price compared to the US pricing.

Last edited:

TheGRz

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
Prices in India do seem crazy at times (compared to US and UK), which makes it very difficult to come up with builds. Take the knowledge you have and apply it to your situation; also shop around for prices if you can.

I have done that many times. But the online price seems better. There's a slight difference in price when these things bought from stores but it is very marginal. Pricing is upside down here! Even the GTX 1660Ti costs $370 for the base model.