Ryzen 5 2400g or Ryzen 5 2600 for Software Engineering and Mid-Gaming

Sep 19, 2018
Hello everyone!

I am looking to build a PC, I am soon starting my Software Engineering program and my current PC is years old and slowly dying.

Apart from school needs, I do some light gaming, im not the type to care if i have to run the game at medium settings if i need to, But i kind of do care for aesthetics of the actual PC.
Games I would play are: Fornite, GTA V, Rocket League, Dota 2, ideally at 1080p, 60fps+

I was looking to build this PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ky849J
and add a graphics card later, as I've heard the 2400G is capable of entry level gaming

My questions is; Is it okay to stick with a 2400G, then add a RX 570 or a 1060 6gb later when the gpu prices drop?
Or is it better to just buy a Ryzen 5 2600 now, and use my pre owned GT 730 gpu with it until the prices of gpu drop?
I am sort of on a budget ($1000 CAD MAX )
I just really want to know if the ryzen 5 2400g will last me, or do i really need the 6 physical cores so that my PC is really future proof.

Solution
The real value to a 2200g or 2400g is that you don't need to spend money on a videocard, if your needs don't require it. If you already know you'll be buying a good 1080p videocard later, the 2400g is not such a great choice. It's not a question of cores, it's that you will be paying for those Vega graphics. Why spend money on something you don't need?

The 2400g will give you better performance than the 730, so if you need a performance boost now then that's a reason to choose it. The big mystery here is when will prices drop enough for you? How long will you have to use the 730 if you don't buy the 2400g? No one can answer that. It might happen soon, or you may be waiting longer than you think.
The real value to a 2200g or 2400g is that you don't need to spend money on a videocard, if your needs don't require it. If you already know you'll be buying a good 1080p videocard later, the 2400g is not such a great choice. It's not a question of cores, it's that you will be paying for those Vega graphics. Why spend money on something you don't need?

The 2400g will give you better performance than the 730, so if you need a performance boost now then that's a reason to choose it. The big mystery here is when will prices drop enough for you? How long will you have to use the 730 if you don't buy the 2400g? No one can answer that. It might happen soon, or you may be waiting longer than you think.

Solution