[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600 and RAM 3466 Help

Jan 4, 2019
Hello! Long time browser but this is my first post.

I finally built a PC and the last time I built one was back around 2003 when I was 15. I am not a hardcore gamer but have always enjoyed electronics and computers in general and decided to build a moderate budget PC that could handle gaming, media storage, and a media server.

My Specs:
InWin 101 White Case
ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Ryzen 5 2600 w/ Stock Cooler
Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB 3466MHz Single Stick
Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ Special Ed.
6x120mm Fans
Corsair 750w
500GB SSD
2TB HDD

The only thing I seem to have overlooked was that fact that the RAM was one stick - I thought i was getting 2x8GB but no biggie, I plan on getting a second 16GB stick to match and run dual channel if the following question can be addressed.

So my question is - if possible, how can i get my ram to run at 3466? It defaults to 3000 in BIOS and I am very novice at overclocking. I really want to utilize this RAM and CPU to the highest potential while being air cooled.

Solution
FYI, RAM that is purchased separately, even if the exact same model, isn't guaranteed to work together. I'd be especially concerned about compatibility for a high speed kit like that for a Ryzen CPU. I'd return it and get a 2x8 GB ~3200 MHz kit if you can.

If you do want to keep that stick, to get it to run at full speed try enabling the XMP/D.O.C.P (has different names sometimes) profile in the BIOS in memory settings.

mtracy1991

Reputable

From what I was told, when I was looking at MHz for the Ryzen... anything 3000 and above is great. You will not notice a difference if you get from 3000 to 3200, or 3466 mhz. Also, overclocking the ryzen will give you about 5-10% performance difference. Just some information from me to you! :)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
FYI, RAM that is purchased separately, even if the exact same model, isn't guaranteed to work together. I'd be especially concerned about compatibility for a high speed kit like that for a Ryzen CPU. I'd return it and get a 2x8 GB ~3200 MHz kit if you can.

If you do want to keep that stick, to get it to run at full speed try enabling the XMP/D.O.C.P (has different names sometimes) profile in the BIOS in memory settings.

Solution
Jan 4, 2019

I will try changing the BIOS DOCP this evening.
The goal is to wait and upgrade to the higher end of AM4+ when launched hoping that I can utilize the high end memory. So if I can utilize a higher frequency I will buy matching 16GB stick. If it has compatibility issues ill return and purchase together as mentioned.

TRENDING THREADS