geri710

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Hello guys. I built a pc a few months ago. Now that is summer I have noticed my Ryzen 5 2600 temps are getting higher.
On bios, the cpu temp is 50°C. When boot up on idle the temps are between 60-70°C. I am using the stock cooler.
I have a fractal design meshify c case with 2 stock coolers (1 on front and 1 on the back).

When I game the temps are around 80°C. One time it went 90°C while playing fortnite. I must say it was pretty hot that day.
Are these temps normal and do you have any suggestions for a better cooler and fan setup?
Thank you

Solution
I think its more on the fact theres no air circulation in your room. Try to move your pc where sunlight wont affect it. And try adding more air input and output fans to improve your airflow.
So your pc's hot air is blown out faster and cool air is brought it in quicker as well.

gdds_01

Reputable
May 5, 2020
Even with the stock cooler the temperature is higher than normal, although the case air flow could be better if you installed more fans on the front or on the roof.

Have you already checked the thermal paste? Is your CPU overclocked? If so, maybe the voltages are too high for your cooling solution to properly deal with.

geri710

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Even with the stock cooler the temperature is higher than normal, although the case air flow could be better if you installed more fans on the front or on the roof.

Have you already checked the thermal paste? Is your CPU overclocked? If so, maybe the voltages are too high for your cooling solution to properly deal with.
The stock cooler had already thermal paste and it was enough. The temps during the winter and spring were normal. 75° C max while gaming.
It has been really hot the past few days 35° -38° C and I don't have an AC or fan in my room atm.

My cpu is not overclocked.

Allyboi

Prominent
Jun 30, 2020
I think its more on the fact theres no air circulation in your room. Try to move your pc where sunlight wont affect it. And try adding more air input and output fans to improve your airflow.
So your pc's hot air is blown out faster and cool air is brought it in quicker as well.

Solution

geri710

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Thank you. I will try that definitely. I was looking for fan setup suggestions. Brands and etc

Hi man have you tried checking your thermal paste? If its to little its useless if its too much it will basically just hold the heat of the cpu.
I'd like to elaborate and correct a couple things on this comment.

1) Too little paste is a problem. Particularly on AMD Ryzen CPUs. With Ryzen there are several chiplets underneath the IHS (the metal cover of the CPU) Each chiplet is a source of heat so thermal paste needs to cover the the whole IHS. the chiplets are in a 2x2 grid so the best way to ensure coverage is to use a "X" pattern (where each arm of the X points to a corner) or spread the paste evenly. For intel a single point is still the recommendation but more frequently the grain of rice suggestion is too little. A half of a pea or even a whole pea is fine.

2) Too much paste is less of a problem. Back in the day Thermal paste used to be electrically conductive. Artic Silver 5 (AS5) was incredibly effective, popular, and conductive. Any squeeze out could potentially cause a short that would then fry the mobo or CPU. That was bad. Today, most pastes are non-conductive, squeeze out is less of an issue. Mounting pressure on the CPU has also gone up (I think it's as high as 55lbs). So you are unlikely to have a situation where there is so much paste that it's actually becoming a thick layer between the IHS and CPU heatsink. Any excess will squeeze out. You don't need globs and globs of thermal paste but a little extra isn't likely to cause you a problem.

I've seen these older ideas particularly point two come up often enough that I think I need to save this and repost as needed.

As to Fan suggestions. I like Corsairs ML series of fan. They are a bit pricey but fan are something that you can spend a little money on and take from one generation of PC to the next like your PSU. So they are more like an investment. Spending a little more now can save you a little later. If you are fine without RGB and possibly brown...then Noctua is another great option.

edit: wrong word.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juan_Bijero
D

Deleted member 2720853

Noctua are a great option but make sure to get rubber mounts for the fans as well, don't make the same mistake as I did. I just used the screws and anti vibration pads and it still managed to make a humming sound that drew me crazy at 600 RPM.

Another good choice for fans is be quiet!'s Pure Wings 2 or Silent Wings 3.

Hello guys. I built a pc a few months ago. Now that is summer I have noticed my Ryzen 5 2600 temps are getting higher.
On bios, the cpu temp is 50°C. When boot up on idle the temps are between 60-70°C. I am using the stock cooler.
I have a fractal design meshify c case with 2 stock coolers (1 on front and 1 on the back).

When I game the temps are around 80°C. One time it went 90°C while playing fortnite. I must say it was pretty hot that day.
Are these temps normal and do you have any suggestions for a better cooler and fan setup?
Thank you
50C idle is a little high but 80-90c are "normal" high temps with the stock Wraith Stealth cooler. You dont need anything expensive to drop gaming load temps to 45-65c depending on the CPU usage. A DeepCool GAMMAXX 400, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo/LED or Hyper 212 Black edition for $25-38 are good enough. Edit - I would recommend the Hyper 212 LED or Black Edition, because they have easier mounting methods than the Evo. Edit 2 - I'm not sure if the 212 LED is AM4 compatible.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Arctic fans are pretty good and not too expensive,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/68WfrH/arctic-p12-pwm-pst-563-cfm-120-mm-fan-acfan00120a
this one comes with pwm sharing which means it has a second connector which is nice if your motherboard doesn't have too many fan headers.
Via that second connector can you power another fan so you could make it run together with the fan from the cpu cooler for instance.
There is also a value pack which is 5 of these in one box.

As suggested could a better cpu coler als bring a solution.

TRENDING THREADS