[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 2600 idle temeratures 40 degrees with Scythe Ninja 5

progemar199

Reputable
Oct 9, 2018
Hi, I just bought a Scythe Ninja 5 cooler, and i noticed that I'm getting higher idle temps than my old Gammaxx 300 cooler, which was half the price and a quarter the heatsink size + half the fans. With my old Gammaxx I was getting idle temperatures of 34 average, and with this new cooler, I get 42 at minimum. And I notice higher temperatures in general, I got up to 70 degrees on CSGO, while with the old cooler the max I got was 60.

Could my cooler be defective or could it be a wrong installation? The thermal paste used was a Noctua h1

Solution
The Ninja 5 isn't defective, but it's application doesn't match what you've done with the cpu.
It's a low noise 1st, performance 2nd cooler. That's why it has 800rpm fans; changing them would defeat the purpose of this cooler.
Return it and get a Mugen 5 Rev. B or a FUMA 2.
Hi, I just bought a Scythe Ninja 5 cooler, and i noticed that I'm getting higher idle temps than my old Gammaxx 300 cooler, which was half the price and a quarter the heatsink size + half the fans. With my old Gammaxx I was getting idle temperatures of 34 average, and with this new cooler, I get 42 at minimum. And I notice higher temperatures in general, I got up to 70 degrees on CSGO, while with the old cooler the max I got was 60.

Could my cooler be defective or could it be a wrong installation? The thermal paste used was a Noctua h1

Yes, you might want to check the cooler is fitted properly, and/or thermal paste is applied correctly too. Your temps are on the high side a little. About 10c over where it should be approx. You should check if the right mount bracket for your CPU type was used.

Reactions: Krotow

progemar199

Reputable
Oct 9, 2018
Yes, you might want to check the cooler is fitted properly, and/or thermal paste is applied correctly too. Your temps are on the high side a little. About 10c over where it should be approx. You should check if the right mount bracket for your CPU type was used.
I'm pretty sure I used the correct bracket since there's only one inside, but I will check to see if I put the cooler properly.

progemar199

Reputable
Oct 9, 2018
Then it could be the paste. How did you apply it? Ideally you want a pea sized blob in centre of chip, then replace cooler. When the cooler is on correctly it will spread the paste around the cpu so it spreads evenly over the CPU.
i just re-mounted the cooler again, it's better now, going around 38 degrees at minimum, but still going 68-70 degrees under load. Is it normal to get 70 degrees for a 100w load? Figures are taken fro OpenHardwareMonitor. When I took out the cooler there was thermal paste spread evenly across the whole cpu, but I still cleaned it out and re-applied it.

i just re-mounted the cooler again, it's better now, going around 38 degrees at minimum, but still going 68-70 degrees under load. Is it normal to get 70 degrees for a 100w load? Figures are taken fro OpenHardwareMonitor. When I took out the cooler there was thermal paste spread evenly across the whole cpu, but I still cleaned it out and re-applied it.

Typically I would expect temps in the following ranges:

Idle: idle 30-35c
Gaming 45-65 (maybe 70 for something very demanding)
Stress testing: 70-80c.

I don't use openhardwaremonitor. I use HWMon/HWinfo for monitoring.

Yes, maybe a 100w load might yield 70c. What are you PC specs? CPU/GPU etc?

progemar199

Reputable
Oct 9, 2018
Specs: 16x2 corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz cl16
CPU: r5 2600 4.0ghz
GPU: gtx 970 strix oc direct 2
PSU: Riotoro onyx 750w
New cooler: Scythe Ninja 5
Old cooler: deepcool gammax 300
Old temps: idle 30's, gaming 50-60, stress-testing 70

progemar199

Reputable
Oct 9, 2018
Aha, wait. Are you OC'ing the CPU? Is that a 4ghz all core OC? If so that's possibly why your temps are high. Have you changed CPU voltage?
All the overclock settings are the same as with the last cooler. I have changed nothing besides the cooler that I'm using. I'm assuming that it's the cooler defective at this point tbh.
I think that this scythe ninja 5 would be a bit better than the Gammax 300 I was using, the fans are nicer and have more airflow, and they're 2, not 1, and there's a lot more "cooler material" in general. But I think I got a defective unit now.

Possibly. I wouldn't say defective just yet. What vcore have you set for CPU? You should be aiming for below 1.3v otherwise temps will be higher at idle/game/load.

My cooler on R1600x is rated for 145w. My 3.9 ghz all core runs at 1.3v. This kept my CPU under 80c even running Prime95 for 4 hours +. My CPU would max at about 135w at 3.9ghz.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Ninja 5 isn't defective, but it's application doesn't match what you've done with the cpu.
It's a low noise 1st, performance 2nd cooler. That's why it has 800rpm fans; changing them would defeat the purpose of this cooler.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution

progemar199

Reputable
Oct 9, 2018
I see, I got the wrong cooler for my use case... Well, I can live with it like this. At least it's quieter than my old cooler. Thanks for the info.

Is a temperature of 70c while gaming a problem? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
It is a problem counting the fact that my old gammaxx 300 was running cooler tbh

progemar199

Reputable
Oct 9, 2018
Was the Deepcool running at 100% fanspeed? Was it loud?
No, it wasn't even at 80%. And it was ever so slightly louder than the Scythe, but it's only noticeable if you watch it side-by-side. Anyways, I refunded the Scythe cooler, and got a new case + will be getting a new cooler since now I'm not height limited. I was looking at the Deepcool assassin 3 cooler.

Latest posts