Question Ryzen 5 2600: is it worth upgrading from i5 6400?

Starcruiser

Honorable
Ultimately, the decision of whether it's worth it is up to you. I can only offer guidance and facts.

If you play a lot of newer games that can utilize more cores, the 2600 will outperform the 6400 by a wide margin. On older and less optimized games, the single core performance is more important. The 2600 still wins there but not by as much.

Another factor to consider is newer motherboard technology. An X570 motherboard will offer a lot of PCIe lanes and plenty of options. Once you upgrade to a ryzen 3000 series or newer, you'll be able to use the PCIe 4 standard as well. They are more expensive than the X470 or B450 boards, but the future proofing is a consideration there.

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Ultimately, the decision of whether it's worth it is up to you. I can only offer guidance and facts.

If you play a lot of newer games that can utilize more cores, the 2600 will outperform the 6400 by a wide margin. On older and less optimized games, the single core performance is more important. The 2600 still wins there but not by as much.

Another factor to consider is newer motherboard technology. An X570 motherboard will offer a lot of PCIe lanes and plenty of options. Once you upgrade to a ryzen 3000 series or newer, you'll be able to use the PCIe 4 standard as well. They are more expensive than the X470 or B450 boards, but the future proofing is a consideration there.

what if i opt for a B450 borad? should i get a higher end board instead?

TRENDING THREADS