Question Ryzen 5 2600 is thermal throttling idle at 50 degree celsius

Feb 24, 2020
I just finished my build and unfortunately the CPU is overheating. I played a game for about 30mins and thermal throttling occurred. the temp goes a high as 105 degree Celsius which causes severe frame drops at any resolution and any graphic settings. Also tested it with Aida64, the same problem. The CPU stock cooler is spinning. The motherboard and GPU stayed at good temp.

I just finished my build and unfortunately the CPU is overheating. I played a game for about 30mins and thermal throttling occurred. the temp goes a high as 105 degree Celsius which causes severe frame drops at any resolution and any graphic settings. Also tested it with Aida64, the same problem. The CPU stock cooler is spinning. The motherboard and GPU stayed at good temp.

That's really bad on a ryzen... if the cpu fan is plugged in and working, you should check the cpu cooler mount again.

It probably is not seated correctly... so you should try remounting the cooler, also reapply the thermal paste(blob in the center).

Also, how many case fans do you have?

Feb 24, 2020
That's really bad on a ryzen... if the cpu fan is plugged in and working, you should check the cpu cooler mount again.

It probably is not seated correctly... so you should try remounting the cooler, also reapply the thermal paste(blob in the center).

Also, how many case fans do you have?
I tried remounting it, re-pasted as well. To no avail. Could it be the CPU fan?, Or windows 10,. Should I probably update the BIOS?
Also I tried changing the settings in power management options. Put the maximum processor state to 99%. I guess this prevents the cpu using its boost frequency thus lowering the temperature. However I cnt use the maximum potential of the CPU. Any Idea how I can Fix this further.

If the cooler is properly mounted and fan is spinning it's almost impossible to got those temps. What are you using to monitor temperature? If its not Ryzen Master or HWINFO64 it's not reading correctly.

As asked above; how many and what orientation are your case fans?

Feb 24, 2020
If the cooler is properly mounted and fan is spinning it's almost impossible to got those temps. What are you using to monitor temperature? If its not Ryzen Master or HWINFO64 it's not reading correctly.

As asked above; how many and what orientation are your case fans?
3 fans 2 on the front and 1 at the back.
I tried removing the side panels as well.
Im using msi afterburner and Aida64.
When gaming it throttles around 100 to 105 degree celsius. Frame drops like crazy. But it doesnt shut down or crash. Just stuttering, and high temps.

I tried remounting it, re-pasted as well. To no avail. Could it be the CPU fan?, Or windows 10,. Should I probably update the BIOS?
Also I tried changing the settings in power management options. Put the maximum processor state to 99%. I guess this prevents the cpu using its boost frequency thus lowering the temperature. However I cnt use the maximum potential of the CPU. Any Idea how I can Fix this further.

Is it ramping up when the CPU starts overheating?... you can check the RPM in hwmonitor or hwinfo(hwinfo is a better monitoring tool overall) . If it does it's not the CPU fan.

I asked this previously how many case fans are you running and in what configuration?
Also, what's your case model?

Feb 24, 2020
Is it ramping up when the CPU starts overheating?... you can check the RPM in hwmonitor or hwinfo(hwinfo is a better monitoring tool overall) . If it does it's not the CPU fan.

I asked this previously how many case fans are you running and in what configuration?

I have 3 fans, 2 on the front and 1 at the back. Micro Atx. Just a cheap case. With vents on front, and also the top. Maybe I need to update the bios.

You can try updating the BIOS, but I hardly see that as being the problem. I'm guessing the fan config would be 2 intakes 1 exhaust which is fine.

Did you do any overclocking to your CPU? If so you should revert back to stock.

Test your CPU with Prime 95, small FFT, no avx(disable all three AVX related checkboxes at the bottom). While doing it monitor your temperature using HWINFO. During the test take screenshots from HWINFO - I'm interested in CPU temps and VCore during the stress test.

As @CompuTronix said before you should check his Intel Temperature Guide thread... even though you have an AMD CPU, Part 3 of the guide explains CPU testing methodology in detail. There you'll also find how different stress testing tools put a different workload on your CPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: CompuTronix
In bios what is your cpu fan setting set to? Personally, I like to set mine to 100%. Have you remounted the cooler and not replaced thermal compound?

I might recommend to get some new thermal paste, unmount the cpu cooler, clean off your thermal paste, and apply new compound, then re mount it.

Feb 24, 2020

If not using the boost frenquency it stays around 60 degrees celsius at 100% load. However I wont be able to take advantage of its 3.9ghz boost frenquency. What to do?

Feb 24, 2020
CPU fan is spinning at around 2600 rpm by the way
Could you post the VCore figure when the CPU is boosting and overheating... also as I said earlier I'd like some images during stress testing from a monitoring tool, like hwinfo, as instructed above.
I have 3 fans, 2 on the front and 1 at the back. Micro Atx. Just a cheap case. With vents on front, and also the top. Maybe I need to update the bios.
Could you post the VCore figure when the CPU is boosting and overheating... also as I said earlier I'd like some images during stress testing from a monitoring tool, like hwinfo, as instructed above.
Well I dnt know how to upload photos here. Anyways, its kinda weird. My wraith sleath cooler doesnt seem to be too loud at max rpm unlike what is saying, that is a jet engine.

Well I dnt know how to upload photos here. Anyways, its kinda weird. My wraith sleath cooler doesnt seem to be too loud at max rpm unlike what is saying, that is a jet engine.

Upload your image to imgur and copy the BBCode share link here.

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
What motherboard are you using? Also like ChumP said upload the vcore and other figures from any of the monitoring tools like Ryzen Master or even HWInfo. Until then cannot decide what the underlying problem is.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/98lBmiv"><a href="//imgur.com/a/98lBmiv"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
that's not BBCode... but I can extract the link.

Though, if you're not listening to my advice I cannot help you.

1.Install HWiNFO
2.Download prime 95 and run it with AVX disabled
3.During the stress test make some printscreens(with data shown in HWinfo, VCore and CPU temps) , NOT Pictures with your phone... I need them to be clear, so I can make something out of them.

The compression on the pictures you posted is so high, I can't understand anything from them

Last edited: