Ryzen 5 2600 not performing the way it should.

Mr_Western

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
I am trying to get my system to perform the way I am seeing other people system perform. If I have SMT enable, I actually get lower scores than with it off. I am watching my CPU usage during my benchmark tests (mainly Assassins Creed Origin), with SMT off I am seeing my CPU being pushed to its limit and bottleneck the GPU, but with SMT on, I am seeing my CPU (on each core) use up to 80% and still bottleneck the CPU even worst than with SMT off.

System Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5 2600 (stock clock)
GPU - GTX 1070 (factory OC)
RAM - Patriot [PSD48G24002] 8gb x2 (oc - 2933Mhz ; ov - 1.35v)
Mobo - Gigabyte ab350 gaming rev 1
Mobo Bios - 23f
SSD - 240gb (sanDisk i believe)
HDD (games stored on this) - 3 TB seagate

HPET is disabled

Thanks guys

Solution
That is a pretty detailed question with .with a very long answer.
Very simplified answer.
But it starts with the windows scheduler constantly switching the core a thread is working on. When the thread is switched from one CCX the new core has to access the cache of a different core which induces a high latency cache call and the core stalls.
When windows assigns a thread to a imaginary CPU (4 core/8 threads etc...) the core does not have the full resources of a real core to execute the thread.
So if the program needs 4 full cores and windows assigns it to 2 full cores and 2 imaginary cores you get the performance of about2.5- 2.6 cores ,not the performance of 4 cores.
Programs and windows need to be updated to take advantage of the new...
Assassins creed is a poorly coded CPU hog.
Not the best benchmark to test/compare your system.
Most of the performance youtube video's are rigged.
Go into Nvidia control panel, under adjust image settings with preview, and slide the slider to balanced or performance.
Makes a huge difference in frame rates, and image quality.( which you can not really see in phone videos.
Next hack is under manage 3d settings.
Turn off AA and AF, drop texture filtering to high performance and set a negative LOD bias.
More speed hacks that do not show up on phone videos.
There are more hacks suck as upscale rendering etc....

Mr_Western

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
Ok fair enough, but what about assassins creed odessy, should I buy or is it as bad as ACO? older games like assassins creed brother performs piss poor, bounces between 50 and 60 fps which causes a lot of stutter and tearing and no setting changes in nvidia panel seems to over ride anything.

Same poorly coded game engine with a new story.
Both are CPU hogs.
If you like the game buy it . It will run but have a few problems like the first.

Have you tried Adaptive V/Sync or Adaptive under power management.
Both try to match frame rates and performance to your monitors refresh rate.

Mr_Western

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
I should have asked in the second post, why isn't my CPU being used more when SMT is on for assassins creed even if the game is a CPU hog it should mean it wants to use the CPU but yet it isn't.

That is a pretty detailed question with .with a very long answer.
Very simplified answer.
But it starts with the windows scheduler constantly switching the core a thread is working on. When the thread is switched from one CCX the new core has to access the cache of a different core which induces a high latency cache call and the core stalls.
When windows assigns a thread to a imaginary CPU (4 core/8 threads etc...) the core does not have the full resources of a real core to execute the thread.
So if the program needs 4 full cores and windows assigns it to 2 full cores and 2 imaginary cores you get the performance of about2.5- 2.6 cores ,not the performance of 4 cores.
Programs and windows need to be updated to take advantage of the new hardware architecture.
Windows will finally get updates but most games will not.

More technical article here.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-vs-intel-kaby-lake-gaming,4977.html

Solution