slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
I am currently in a dilema. I want extra performance for gaming and I have been doing some oc tests for a while - I have got my ryzen 2600 clocked to 4.0ghz with 1.25 vcore, 4.1ghz with 1.35 vcore.
So my question is should I leave the cpu to self-boost itself to 3800/3825 in games or should I clock it and is it actually worth it for gaming(I have a gtx 1060).

Solution
I agree with velocityg4 . 100 mv is a lot of extra heat and power consumption for 100mhz. Its not worth going to 4.1 IMHO. 4.0 is your sweet spot. I've found this consistently with ryzen 1st gen and and 2nd gen. You hit a wall (4.0 ghz 1.25v in your case) where you need to add significantly more voltage to go up another 100mhz. I find this wall and stop there. 4ghz at 1.25 shouldn't use much more power or generate much more heat than stock. I'd leave it there and take the performance bump in CPU bound games. Assuming you're temps are fine. A $30 air cooler would work fine for that if the wraith stealth doesn't cut it.
4 gigahertz will make some difference in some games. Although a lot of the time the limiting factor will be your video card. It's a pretty big leap in voltage between 4 gigahertz and 4.1 gigahertz. I'd leave the max at 4 gigahertz. As it'll use a lot less power and generate a lot less heat.

The only way to really know if it will make a difference for your games and your game settings. Is to use something like MSI afterburner with OSD enabled. That way you can see what sort of FPS you are getting within your games. Then you can compare your FPS with the overclock versus stock settings.

Reactions: slavi_asenov2002

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
4 gigahertz will make some difference in some games. Although a lot of the time the limiting factor will be your video card. It's a pretty big leap in voltage between 4 gigahertz and 4.1 gigahertz. I'd leave the max at 4 gigahertz. As it'll use a lot less power and generate a lot less heat.

The only way to really know if it will make a difference for your games and your game settings. Is to use something like MSI afterburner with OSD enabled. That way you can see what sort of FPS you are getting within your games. Then you can compare your FPS with the overclock versus stock settings.
I have done some benchmarks and most of the time the difference is around 1-5 fps and in some CPU bounded games - 10-20. So i am not sure if it is worth it that much.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I agree with velocityg4 . 100 mv is a lot of extra heat and power consumption for 100mhz. Its not worth going to 4.1 IMHO. 4.0 is your sweet spot. I've found this consistently with ryzen 1st gen and and 2nd gen. You hit a wall (4.0 ghz 1.25v in your case) where you need to add significantly more voltage to go up another 100mhz. I find this wall and stop there. 4ghz at 1.25 shouldn't use much more power or generate much more heat than stock. I'd leave it there and take the performance bump in CPU bound games. Assuming you're temps are fine. A $30 air cooler would work fine for that if the wraith stealth doesn't cut it.

Reactions: slavi_asenov2002
Solution